Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Windshield Trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 AM
saw*me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Windshield Trim

I put the chrome Harley windshield trim on the bike last night and I wasn't impressed. I was very disappointed in the fit. Something that should have taken me 15min ,was an hour. As far as the look ,it is what I wanted. If you want this piece for your Road Glide be prepared for some aggravation.

Tom

Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 AM
nolafishr
Banned

I will be adding this to My Bike also and have looked at the Pieces, I am not impressed at the way it goes on, Harley should have came up with a one piece wrap around design.
I am ready for the Aggravation!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 AM
mduggan
Cruiser

My RG already had the piece on it when I picked it up, but what a PITA to change to a thicker Clearview windshield. The piece looks ok once it's on, but knowing ecactly how it's made and how it mounts takes a little away from it.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it mount? Mine came with trim already mounted and I have a Clearview ordered that should be in any day now. I did request the special hardware kit that comes from clearview for mounting the trim piece. I hope this will help in the installation.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not to bad to install, a one piece would have looked better but I think it would have been a bitch to install. Draft1 when your clearview arrives and you go to install it, the best way I've found was to install the wellnuts on the shield then push the wellnuts and shield into the fairing then start snugging your screws, the clearview is thicker and if you install the wellnuts in the fairing first I couldn't get all the screws to start so I just barely started them thru the shield into the wellnuts then installed the shield worked much better for me that way! Good luck, sharp shark nose

Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine on when I first got it home. one side what perfect the other side needed all the slot just to fit. I seem to remember having to put that one on first then the side that fit well. Its been a while. I am wondering how to remove it since it uses velcro that I amm guessing is not made for re-assembly. I think when I try I will ask the service guy if they have anymore tape to have on hand when I do it. I have wanted to try a tall shield and have been reluctant to mess with it because of the trim.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

yeah I have to agree... I have this too and like the looks but pita to switch shields and such.

Kuryakyn makes their own version of this piece, slightly different design, I am going to check it out, I may switch if my ship comes in.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

what i found out that with the clearview windshield the chrome trim wont sit flat

because the windshiled is at a greater lean angle so there leaves a gap between the

fairing and the chrome trim piece-ride safe

Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Clearview GT med and the HD chrome trim....
1) it's not hard at all.... the second or third time
2) for SOME unGodly reason... it matters where you use the center screws and the offset screws... on MY bike, the offsets need to be inboard, on my buddy's RG, they had to be OUT board....be prepared, and be patient... it's only just a LITTLE aggravating...
worse case? stop what you're doing, go in the house and have a drink of coffee, or beer or whatever...

Oh yeah.. no "gaps" here

Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM
rrsjs5
Road Captain

I just had my clearview and fairing off,get the trim kit from John at Clearview ($13.00),kit comes with new chrome screws,plastic nuts,wellnuts and allen wrench,You assembly the whole thing on the bench,shield and chrome trim,pop it in place and tighten it up,trim fits flush at the bottom along the fairing as it should.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Windshield Trim