Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo front conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennydp
I saw the list,the above parts all came together.The only thing I didnt see on the list is the pin for the brake lever.
You are right, it doesn't list the brake lever pin or retaining ring. Can any one with an 08 parts book provide these numbers?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Rrroberts
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my 2006 Street Glide last winter and would suggest it in a second...much better bite, much better braking power and modulation. I used the DOT 4 fluid and it has worked great. You will need the brake lever pin & clip off an '08 model and two of the shorter caliper mount bolts on the earlier models as the Brembos use 4 short caliper bolts instead of 2 long and 2 short. I also bought a set of takeoff brake lines off ebay and would suggest them over trying to used the older hoses. The '08 style hoses come off the caliper in the opposite direction and although I do think you could make them work I just prefer the '08 hoses. The brembo rotors do not have have the countersunk step in them but the earlier bolts worked fine on my swap. The pads do not come with the takeoff "kits" so I bought 2 pair of LBR Z pads off ebay and they work great with the swap...

Hope this helps you won't look back at your old setup...
RR

Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone making the conversion should make sure the rotors are centered in the caliper exactly. If you notice in the pictures of the calipers the 2 metal tabs are almost flush with the pads. If the rotors are slightly off one way or the other they will ride on the tabs and warp the rotors from heat. You may have to shim the calipers to get them centered.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

just starting to look this over, so i haven't hit the search button yet. will it work or is it 'highly recommended' to use the new style master cylinder. can i use my current mc?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I did it on my 07

Here's a couple pics of my 07 with 08 Brembo. I bought everything from a member here for $350. Included rotors but I sold those and installed HD vivid black rotors. The brakes work great!

What do you think?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 AM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
You are right, it doesn't list the brake lever pin or retaining ring. Can any one with an 08 parts book provide these numbers?
Hog:

The #42859-06B Brake Lever Assembly that's mentioned in the List includes #42860-06B Pivot Pin w/Retaining Ring.

The Pivot Pin, and Retaining Ring are parts that will not fit the older levers; and will require the new style lever if using an '08/up Master Cylinder.

HTHs!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 AM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sifularson
Here's a couple pics of my 07 with 08 Brembo. I bought everything from a member here for $350. Included rotors but I sold those and installed HD vivid black rotors. The brakes work great!

What do you think?
Steve:

Great job on the conversion!

And I do like the rotors.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 AM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rock92
just starting to look this over, so i haven't hit the search button yet. will it work or is it 'highly recommended' to use the new style master cylinder. can i use my current mc?
rock:

I can see in your pic that you already have spent a lot on chrome; and you have the chrome M/C.

IMO, I would really consider the '08 Master which would involve another payout for the chrome one. Not saying your existing M/C will not work, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of using a previous model master with the '08 up Brembo components.

My understanding is Brembo partnered with H-D in designing the '08 up system; and if H-D could have saved a dollar by using the '07 and older Master Cylinder, I think they would have stayed with it!

If you do go with the '08 Chrome M/C, maybe selling your existing one will help offset the additional expense.

HTHs!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

wvultra, thanks for the feedback. going with the all 08 components is probably what i will do. yeah, its more bread but it makes sense and im running out of things to do any way...lol

does the new system run dot4 or dot5. and if it is dot4, will i be able to run the brake lines that i currently have (russell ss braided) or will i need new ones of those as well?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

If you buy the chrome HD levers for 08 bikes,they come with the pins and clips

Quick Reply: Brembo front conversion