Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone considering moving OUT of Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got my 10-year certificate for a municipal job in the Chicago area - So I'm trapped. Even though, after 10 years, I'm still the last full-time hire in the department. So if axes start to fall, I'm the easiest one to chop at.

And if that were to happen, yeah, I think I'd leave this [SELF-CENSORED]ing state in a heartbeat. The weather? Sure. I'd give to be able to ride all year or at least most of it.

I'm a workaholic and and obsessive rider - Riding keeps me sane. I never liked winter - but ever since I started riding I hate it. And I mean "hate" very deeply and passionately - not like "I hate going to work" or "I hate Governor Blago" -- I mean "hate" like "despise" or "intense detestation." If I went outside with a blow-dryer and started melting the icicles, they could charge me with a "hate crime."

Other than that, out here in Crook County, with the highest taxes in the nation and some of the worst roads I've ever had the displeasure of riding/driving on, high crime rates, gang scrawl and gun shots in the night by my 7 YO daughters school two blocks away -- And I'm out in the burbs. It's not getting any better. Someone mentioned "anti-gun" earlier... Only the criminals get to carry in Illinois. And they Constitutionally protected about it (self-incrimination protects them from giving up their weapons). Meanwhile, some guy in a rather well-to-do North Shore suburb gets thrown in jail for winging a guy who broke into his home in the middle of the night - twice. Some of the most backwards-thinking goofiness I've ever seen. You can't write some of this stuff.

Sorry - I need a ride. Maybe in a few months if they don't decide to tax me so much that I have to sell the bike...

Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Born2cure
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Morris Il this AM was -20 without wind chill. Thank god for global warming who knows how cold it would get. Texas is looking good to me

Old 01-16-2009, 04:17 AM
xd.404life
Tourer

If you aren't in TEXAS yet you are wasting your life, great weather, great riding-Hill Country/Big Bend- excellant gun laws, no state taxes, FRIEDLY people. ALL I hear is CA, IL, NY MI, PA-taxes-coroupt polticians-you want good food TEX-MEX and BBQ - Housing market is still good and jobs are to be had, gas prices $1.69 today in SA, can ride all day everyday like that--pack-it and move-it, if the wife won't come leave her, More Miss Americas have come from TEXAS than any other, SEE YA'LL here!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:37 AM
09Bagger
Advanced

Originally Posted by Geoff
Good point. I can buy twice the house in Chicago for the same money I'd pay in San Diego.

+3

San Diego: Helluva lot of money to pay for sunshine. I thought long and hard about leaving Georgia for San Diego last year, but the cost of living comparison just was too vast. + the wild fires evacuated most of the area at that time. Omen? If I was loaded $, I would probably live in San Diego----Paradise? Still haven't rented a bike a rode the coastline there yet. It is on my Bucket List.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Donald A
Tourer

-25 in Rock Falls IL this morning without wind chill. Spring is just around the corner...

Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xd.404life
If you aren't in TEXAS yet you are wasting your life, great weather, great riding-Hill Country/Big Bend- excellant gun laws, no state taxes, FRIEDLY people. ALL I hear is CA, IL, NY MI, PA-taxes-coroupt polticians-you want good food TEX-MEX and BBQ - Housing market is still good and jobs are to be had, gas prices $1.69 today in SA, can ride all day everyday like that--pack-it and move-it, if the wife won't come leave her, More Miss Americas have come from TEXAS than any other, SEE YA'LL here!!!
But what's the down-side... What would my wife freak out about - Rattlers? Giant spiders? Killer bees? "Too much heat?"

Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Shrimp926
Cruiser

Yep...I only think about it like maybe...EVERY DAY...not a windy city native..hate the weather, traffic, taxes, gun laws...crooks in the government...the only thing keeping me here is the job...too close to the gold watch to get out now...however, when I do check out of the workforce, I am so outta here...........................

Old 01-16-2009, 10:31 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

I'm 90 miles north! I agree, but where to go?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 AM
xd.404life
Tourer

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
But what's the down-side... What would my wife freak out about - Rattlers? Giant spiders? Killer bees? "Too much heat?"
I have lived in TEXAS for about 10 years, I have yet to have a run in with a Rattle snake, killer bees, I am not at all sure what a giant spider is-I haven't found one I can't step on. As for your "big City" Dallas, Houston and even San Antonio can rival anything anywhere (all three in the top in the country) As for the heat I spent a summer in Iraq 130 deg + daily this heat is nothing plus we have this thing here called AC works great.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
longhorn
6th Gear

We don't want any liberals moving into texas from liberal states and bringing their lib attitudes with them.We don't want a state income tax or any lib gun laws in Texas.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering moving OUT of Chicago?