Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone considering moving OUT of Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,736 Likes on 770 Posts

This guy will be moving...though he may not want to

Attached Thumbnails Anyone considering moving OUT of Chicago?-s-blagmeblago-large.jpg  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago and lived there til I was 20. When I got out of college I fled to San Diego and been here 25 yrs now. I'm glad I did and it's worked out well. We've got to have just about the best weather on earth here. Very moderate temps and low humidity = very few bugs to speak of.

Here in San Diego I live on a few acres in the mtns about an hour east of the city. So it's peaceful and quiet out here and I've got a beautiful one hour commute to work 4 days a week.

The gun laws here in CA are hard-core conservative when compared to IL (or MA or a few others back east) gun laws. CA isn't perfect by any means but taxes are reasonable and if you have a passion for riding motorcycles then you can ride about 350 days out of the year (I avoid rain - don't like the 3 hour detailing job to get the bike spiffed up again after a ride in the rain).

It's a tough choice and lots of things to consider, but I cant even imagine living in a place like that anymore. Weather like that is literally depressing to me. Even as springtime approaches you have weeks of 30-40 degree gray/rainy days that are just intolerable. Add to that your cars rotting off the frame from the salt used on the roads for the snow, etc and the mosquitos that molest you viciously if you try to sit out at nite... The humidity... Yuck!

PS: The coldest day I remember when living there was -35 raw temp and with the wind chill it was -80 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUN LIKE HELL FREIND! GET OUT!

Last edited by Arizona; 01-15-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by georgemcghee
All that keeps us here is the money.
Good point. Chicago has a better job market than many of the sun belt states.

Don't matter, though. Once my kid finishes college, I'm selling the house and moving south, even if I have to live in a van by the river.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lived in San Diego long enough to dream about going back and living there till my end. Loved the weather and beaches and everything else. Seemed like there was always something to do. Maybe one day.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbie
This guy will be moving...though he may not want to
Yep.......into a big house..............with small rooms!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Left the PA/NY area 15 years ago and never looked back, I really have no use for ice & snow. My income increased by about 40%, the job market is great and, while it may be humid in the summertime, I'd rather sweat than shiver any day. I laugh as my college buddies pay three times what I do for real estate and the guns laws here are pretty good (so far). I do miss some of the food but I guess I'd miss the bbq & tex-mex if I moved from here. Oh yeah, and the general population here are much friendlier, not so crabby.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in South Central Indiana and I'm moving!!!! Just got a job offer for 2 years in Aricebo, Puerto Rico. Wife and I travel a lot, but this is gonna be nice for a while. This close to full retirement, a 2 year stay in PR may not be too bad. Worst case, I can always quit and go back home to the snow. Anyone know a good moving company?

Last edited by dgriffith; 01-15-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM
D34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To think that I could've went anywhere after graduating and I pick Chicago. The summers are pretty nice here by the lake but this winter crap really sucks!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Candy Red
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are more guns deaths per month, in a gun free city, than in Iraq for the same time period.

I'd prefer to move my family a little closer to small Amercian town

Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is what i need to think about.. would love to move to the USA since all my family is in NJ... but... i dont want to give up Medicare and low college fees... going to FL next week to breakup winter months a little...dammm cold here... no... dammm freezzziinnng.....

Quick Reply: Anyone considering moving OUT of Chicago?