Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone considering moving OUT of Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyespy
Just the ridiculous anti-gun/anti-2A laws in Illinios are enough reason to leave the state, let alone Chicago, even if the weather didn't suck so bad.

Amen to that Brother!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 AM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Lived in central Illinois for 56 years. Hated the cold and snow/ice/road salt. Now spend 7 months a year in middle Tennessee and 5 months a year in Florida. Still miss seeing family and friends in IL. but can't see ever moving back.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 AM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did about 4 years ago primarily for a job position change but also so my wife could get closer to her side of the family. Like you, the winters got old after 40 years. Where I'm at in the South, the heat and humidity can be a challenge to get use to in the summer, but this biggest thing I miss is the food. Can't get a decent pizza or beef sandwich down here at all so far. Where I am located, there are a bunch of folks that migrated from New York and have infiltrated the area with NY style Pizza, but it isn't the same. Luckily for me, my wife is a flight attendant so occasionally I can fly back for a day or two to pig out on the cuisine.

One more thing I forgot mention, I'm considering doing a stage two and have not found anyone suitable close to me so far that I trust. Checked with a couple of indies that I heard about, but after visiting with them, no way. The local HD shop gave me a rough quote of 3k without a pipe or dyno time using SE parts. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. This is a dealership by the way that has recently laid off a few sales and parts folks and cust the hours of the service techs some. The quest continues..........

Last edited by cegusa; 01-15-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: after thought
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I've had enough of Chicago winters, too. If the job and real estate markets weren't so tight, I'd pack up and leave today.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

Hate the dam snow! My daughter lives in Sandspoint, Idaho 50 mile south of Canadian boarder. She said the snow hasn't been bad this year so far only 6 feet, she can keep it.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All that keeps us here is the money. Vacations are nice this time of year but then you have to come back.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Couple of years back, I tried to get the wife to move out to SoCal or Vegas. Union labor is best in Chicago, Vegas, and New York. Vegas sure looks good now. Stinkin -14 deg just ain't right!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I had to laugh yesterday morning the Today Show had a reporter on the streets in Chicago playing up that it was 10 degrees and was going to go down to -5 overnight...as I look out my window and see my thermometer reading -25 degrees.

This winter stinks in the Twin Cities. Lots of snow a COLD!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

You all are right, it's the f'ing money that keeps us here, the food is pretty good too. We have spoiled ourselves. I've been doing some serious soul searching though and I don't think I would have a problem giving up the big house with the big bills. My taxes are $950 a month where I live. I want to live in a slower and WARMER place. I own 10 acres in the Ozarks (out in the country) that is pretty relaxing, but I have to figure out how to pull the cash in. I'm a self employed IT professional so I should be able to figure something out. The wife isn't ready to throw the towel in yet. That's my big problem. When she gives me the green light - you will see tail lights.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
ZBARK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left there 8 years ago and don't think I'll be going back to live.Just talked to my mother who is still there.She said the temp was going to be -20 today.Not sure if that was the actual temp or windchill.Either way that's just too extreme for me anymore.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering moving OUT of Chicago?