Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gettysburgh bike week and plant tour?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts
Default Gettysburgh bike week and plant tour?

Does anyone know if the York plant offers tours during the timeframe of Gettysburgh Bike Week? I know they don't during model year changeovers but I don't know what timeframe they consider that to be.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 PM
COBALT BLUE 06
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went during weekend of Fourth of July during Gettysburg battle reinactment and the York plant would do a tour but could not see assembly line of 09 bikes till dealer could see them. I did get to see parts being made but not assy. line. They were doing a change over during this time also.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's always iffy because of the time of year. GBW is 7/9-711 this year. I know that riders headed down to the plant this past year but I didn't hear if they were giving tours or not. Yea, I know ... not much help ...

Dawg, I'm local to York and Harrisburg so give a yell if your headed this way and need anything.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah dawg. If you are coming down LMK. Would love to hook up for a ride.

I know they give tours during the week of GBW. Well they have the last three years anyway. But if I remember correctly it is usually during retooling so the tour might be limited.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by COBALT BLUE 06
I went during weekend of Fourth of July during Gettysburg battle reinactment and the York plant would do a tour but could not see assembly line of 09 bikes till dealer could see them. I did get to see parts being made but not assy. line. They were doing a change over during this time also.
Yeah, I was down there with my lady and kids (8 and 6 y.o.) during the 3rd week of July a few years ago to find that they wouldn't allow kids under 12 years old. I advised the lady to have HD put down on their brochure to let others know that kids under 12 aren't allowed to tour the factory cuz we wasted our time stopping there during our vacation. Anyways, My lady had to go with one group while I watched my kids in the store and display/showroom. Then I went with another group while my lady watched my kids.

They told us in advance that they wouldn't let us tour the whole factory cuz the new bikes were in production and do not want to let out the secrets until dealers see them first so we went on a limited tour of all the sheetmetal works.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

So from what I'm hearing then, since the 2010 models will not have been released at the dealer show as of the time of the GBBW I would probably only get a partial tour. Now I have to decide which time I want to go down....bike week and partial tour, or no bike week and full tour. I guess a partial is better than nothing. I plan on getting down and stay at Drumming Boy Campground.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have to make more than one trip down this way .. LOL

If you come down during the HD Open House ( usually the end of September) you can get a tour of both the Touring and Softtail plants. Normal tour are only in the touring plant. Open House weekend is normally the only time they open the Softtail plant for tours.

My dealer organized a tour last year that included the CVO plant. That was interesting.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Generally speaking, the plant is open to tours year round. With the noted exceptions. Or, at least they have been. You might want to think about doing another event, earlier or later and making the plant a day trip away from the party.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

go down stop in gettysburg then keep goin right down skyline drive to the blueridge to great smokey mountains national park that makes for one great ride!