Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reinhart slip on baffle removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trizav2
did you ever get those baffles out? If so then how? I'm running into the same problems removing baffles
I got mine out, it took alot of patience and determination but it worked. I removed the mufflers sprayed windex on the header inlet side around the baffle lip then propped the muffler up on a brick against the bolt mounts with the inlet between my knees (so the baffle can fall out) and used a metal bar to hammer on against the baffles lip, going around the entire circumference of the baffle lip. sprayed again then hammer again... it takes alot of patience but after about 30 minutes i noticed the baffle was working it's way out very slowely, then bang, it fell out.

Now my other side was much more stubborn, i ended up hammering the lip of the baffle smooth to the inside of the muffler, thus leaving me with no lip to hammer on. So then i stuck a wooden handle inside the muffler and rocked it back and forth (the baffle was moving very slightly but still stuck good) after all that, I put the last muffler back on the bike to get some grip, attached a vicegrip to the end of the baffle, attached another vicegrip to that vicegrip on a 90 degree angle then hammered on that vicegrip (this is how they do it for really stubborn baffles at my local HD shop... friend of mine is a mechanic there and gave me the 411) it helped a bit but still wasn't coming out. Finally I attached both vicegrips to the baffle, one on each side and pulled and rocked it in a back and forth motion while giving very abrupt powerful tugs on it. then voila! she popped out. That second one was hell, took me well over an hour to get out.

If you do pull your baffles out, I would very highly recommend installing big city thunder monster baffles in your header inlets. They redirect the exhaust pulses to give you the missing back pressure the baffles used to give you. You will also be running a little leaner, not much, but a little, I notice it when it's hot and crack the throttle at low rpm, I also get some gurgling on decel, so I'm gonna run a diff map in the pcv that's a lil richer.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Leonidas; 06-04-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 PM
trizav2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks that helps a lot I will give that a try. Do you happen to know the part number on those BCT baffles that fit in the head of the pipe

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by trizav2
Thanks that helps a lot I will give that a try. Do you happen to know the part number on those BCT baffles that fit in the head of the pipe
I think they were 2003, I can't be certain though, call them up and they will be able to tell you what you need though, that's what I did, they were very helpful to say the least.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Heath
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info guys. I was thinking of removing mine too, but maybe will just leave them now and be satisfied. Maybe someday if I really need more noise, just buy some new pipes??

Old 06-06-2009, 12:10 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i think that the true duals are a 2" pipe, and the stock pipes are 1-3/4" right? which is the difference i believe.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:10 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Take the Rinehart S/O's off and sell them instead of butchering them up. You'll likely get a good $$ and then go out and buy something louder if you're so inclined. Keep a pulse on the mood of popo in your part of the country and see how tolerant they are of increased pipe noise.....you could end up paying more than you had anticipated.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by roadkinglobo
Take the Rinehart S/O's off and sell them instead of butchering them up. You'll likely get a good $$ and then go out and buy something louder if you're so inclined. Keep a pulse on the mood of popo in your part of the country and see how tolerant they are of increased pipe noise.....you could end up paying more than you had anticipated.
How is it butchering your pipes by removing the baffles? rineheart sells alternate baffles for them, they're meant to be removed and swapped out.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Aben
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can remove the baffles from the slip-ons i did mine. I used a broom stick in the baffle to wiggle them and pulled them out with pliers.