Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Radios

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009 | 04:40 PM
toolman44092
|
Cruiser
Default Aftermarket Radios

How many on here have installed aftermarket radios in place of their HK units? I'm interested in hearing what you did and how you hooked it up. I know there are some companies making install kits that allow you to use the factory handlebar controls on the aftermarket radios. I'm looking to go to an aftermarket radio that is XM capable and will allow me to use the factory controls.

I'd love to see pics if you have them and if not, a description of what you did along with total cost. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2009 | 04:47 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

if you go with the biketronics kit for the handlebar controls, a lot of the sony radios and several of the pioneers will work fine. www.biketronics.com and there is a list of compatible radios on their site.

Old 01-14-2009 | 05:30 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Most Sony & Pioneer heads will work with the Biketronices kit...as well as a few Alpines.

My stereo consists of these parts:
Pioneer head unit
Pioneer XM box
Pioneer IPOD cable
Polk Audio MOMO speakers
Biketronics Retro Radio kit
Biketronics 150w 2 channel amp
Dakota Digital antenna

Of course the head unit is where it goes...XM box is stacked on top of head unit...IPOD cable is run under tank, down backbone, into saddlebag (removed wire tray lid and lined it in there)...speakers are where they should be, the crossovers are on bottom of head unit...retro kit & amp is stacked on top of XM box...XM antenna is mounted on fairing...Dakota antenna is inside fairing

pic shows a Sony, I didn't care for it, removed & returned for a Pioneer

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Radios-hpim0336.jpg  
Old 01-14-2009 | 05:45 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

That's one hell of a setup BadPiggy! How much is the Biketronics amp going for these days?

I have an 05 EG Standard, but instead of paying something like $1000 for the stock head unit (keep in mind the mp3 capability wasn't available yet either), I spent $500 total for the deck (Sony, mp3 and XM capable), HogTunes speakers, fairing antenna, biketronics kit, and the installation (yes, I'm lazy!)

About the only thing I think I might change now is to a newer deck that has iPod capability. I'm sick of burning mp3 CD's all the time -usually for 2-3 songs!- when I can just upload a new song to the iPod and it's ready to go. The fairing controls are definately worth getting the kit to use them!

Old 01-14-2009 | 07:45 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I have had the Biketronics interface module (for handlebar controls of the headunit) for about 3 years and it works great. The radio is a basic Sony GT 510/520, with Sony Xplod 4-way speakers ($40 at Walmart), etc. Very easy DIY installation. Here's pic of the inner fairing with radio. You can save some $$$ by purchasing the headunit from a discounter rather than from Biketronics.

http://

Hawg-wired makes an interface unit as well as an installation kit, though priced somewhat higher than Biketronics. The installation kit by HW is a nicer piece than the Biketronics kit IMO, but the BT kit works just fine. When I do the custom paint project, I'll re-shoot the inner fairing and the radio facia. I also have the Hog-Tunes fairing lower speaker kit awaiting installation, and have been considering the Sony XM-4S amplifier, 4 channel 300 watt, but I'm no audiophile and the current set-up has satisfied my needs, so the amp is probably not going to get done.

Good luck with your research.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-14-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2009 | 07:55 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

I have biketronics as well. The radio handlebar controls work great and from biketronics, "Any radio that has a wired remote option will work with the handlebar controls." The controls plug into where a wired remote would. I recently added a Sony with an iPOD cable built in and have always had XM as well It's a great buy! There are others, but as far as I know Biketronics is the only one that has the speed volume adjustment which is really nice to have.

Old 01-14-2009 | 07:58 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

this item SWI-JACK SWIJACK PAC Steering Wheel allows you to use the handlebar controls using most new radios.

I'm running a kenwood kvt-512 with nav and bluetooth, infinity 5 1/4 Kappa's and separate 1 dome tweeters in the fairing, 6x9 pioneer premier series in the bags---like others have said get the items from a internet stereo discount store

install is not that hard

Old 01-14-2009 | 08:40 PM
anaquin
Advanced

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Most Sony & Pioneer heads will work with the Biketronices kit...as well as a few Alpines.

My stereo consists of these parts:
Pioneer head unit
Pioneer XM box
Pioneer IPOD cable
Polk Audio MOMO speakers
Biketronics Retro Radio kit
Biketronics 150w 2 channel amp
Dakota Digital antenna

Of course the head unit is where it goes...XM box is stacked on top of head unit...IPOD cable is run under tank, down backbone, into saddlebag (removed wire tray lid and lined it in there)...speakers are where they should be, the crossovers are on bottom of head unit...retro kit & amp is stacked on top of XM box...XM antenna is mounted on fairing...Dakota antenna is inside fairing

pic shows a Sony, I didn't care for it, removed & returned for a Pioneer

Nice setup. I am installing a Biketronics setup with a Sony unit. I do have a couple of questions though if it's no problem. Where did you get the extra bezel around the head unit? I don't really care for the looks of the Biketronics install. Also, what model Pioneer did you go with and did all of the controls work? I sure wish I would have known the Pioneers work before I bought the Sony.

Old 01-14-2009 | 09:03 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

I have the following:

Sony CD/Sat/ Radio
2 Channel Blauplunk Amp (110 watts rms @ 2ohms)
4 x Infinity marine speakers
Hogwired install bezel & harness
Antenna in the fairing

Old 01-14-2009 | 09:09 PM
TASSY5
Intermediate

Are the stock units no good or not loud enough on the Faring style bike from 06-09?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radios