Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Road King Classic - Novice Needs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009 | 04:21 PM
Hagrid
|
Stage IV
Default 2009 Road King Classic - Novice Needs Advice

I passed my big bike test in the uk last September and I am considering buying a 2009 Road King Classic.

Can anyone offer any advice in terms of do's and dont's.

I am 6ft 2in tall and 21 stone, so having read the forums I see people suggesting higher windscreens, different handle bars, foot pegs, different mirrors, etc, etc.

Being very new to the world of Harley, any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Old 01-14-2009 | 04:38 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

My advice would be ride the bike as it comes from the dealer for a while to see if anything bothers you at all. Some people are very happy with the factory setup.

On the other hand, most RK riders find the seat and the handlebars uncomfortable. But I can't speak for the '09 models. I am also about your same height and found that I needed to put on extended shift lever and break pedal to give me more foot room. But that is on an older model RK. If you feel you would like to change the seat and handlebars, start with your seat and get handlebars to fit your seat. Not the otherway around. I don't think the windscreen should be a problem at your height.

Enjoy your RK, you will love it.

Dan

Old 01-14-2009 | 04:43 PM
Hagrid
|
Stage IV

Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-14-2009 | 04:47 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

You are welcome.

I usually don't promote another forum on this one because this one is very good. However, check out this RK only forum. Very good info.

www.roadkingriders.com

Old 01-14-2009 | 04:55 PM
Willy G.
Road Captain

Do= Buy one
Don't= Stop riding it
Do= Buy one
Don't= Forget to look at the Street Glide
Do= Buy One
Don't= Leave it stock
Do= Enjoy whatever you get
Don't= Forget to post pics of your bike
Cheers, ***** G.

Old 01-14-2009 | 06:28 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Go rent a couple of different models and see what you think. Some dealers will rent you two models for 1/2 day each. Ride em both. Like a Road King and Street Glide. See which fits best, and what you like/dislike. Many dealers will take the cost of the rental off the cost of the bike if you buy from them. Not sure where you are in UK, but the last time I was in London I went to the Kings Row Dealer, and they had a pretty good selection. If you can't rent, go sit on a few models, and have the salesperson straddle the front wheel when straight up so you can sit as though riding. That should help you make some of those decisions prior to acquisition. Hope this helps....

Old 01-14-2009 | 06:30 PM
OC2CO Rider
Novice
Default Good advice to wait and ride it...

Hagrid,

I am 6'2" tall also, though I am slightly smaller guy (about 16 stone). I bought my Road King a year ago and have made a number of changes (mostly cosmetic and performance) since that time.

In my experience, there are actually a lot of different ways to be 6'2" tall. I happen to be short in the leg (about a 32" inseam), long in the torso and arm. As a result, the stock set-up on the RKC actually fit me really well. I am happy with where the footboards and shifter are. Many people find the stock bars to be a bit of a reach, but they're comfortable for me. And, I actually liked the stock seat.

That being said, I just changed the seat (wife wanted something a bit more plush for longer rides). I have my eye on new bars, in part because I really like the look of fatter/wider bars and in part because I think a smaller reach will be a bit more comfortable. And, I did add highway pegs to allow me to move my feet around on longer rides.

So, do get yourself a Road King. I couldn't be happier with mine. And, then ride it as much as you can, sit on other people's rides when they'll let you, and you'll soon figure out for yourself what to spend your money on next. There's no shortage of choices for that...

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 01-14-2009 | 08:27 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Buy it, smile wide and don't look back! The KING is the best bike you'll ever own.

Old 01-14-2009 | 08:29 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

At 6'2 the stock handlebar will drive you NUTS! You'll find yourself leaning over too much. I'm 6' & a set of H-D Heritage style handlebars did the trick for me. They were $79.99 & you don't need to purchase any additonal lines or cables. They can't be internally wired though. If you have the extra money to spend the way to go is with some Wild1 Chubby 14" or 16" Apes ($250 or so) but now you'll need longer lines & cables. This is probably what I'll do down the road when I feel like spending the extra cash. Pretty happy with the H-D Heritage style bars for now though. Other than the uncomfortable stock handlebars I think you'll have found the bike of your dreams in every other category!

Old 01-14-2009 | 08:47 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Same height and you lost me on the stones...At any rate, I've done a lot, but I am also somewhat out of my mind and rather addicted to the bike, the forum, and the info. At any rate, I found the seat intolerable, the handlebars uncomfortable, and the footboards ill placed. Most of those mods will require solid research asking sitting riding. The footboards are relatively simply, just pm Soos. This stuff is so incredibly personal that you should ride and look and make changes as you deem it necessary. I have a friend who has kept his bike bone stock and he is thrilled. I was not thrilled with the sound or the performance so I changed the pipes, three times and it is now being upgraded to a 117 which will produce a bunch of torque where I would like it. I also found the storage lacking, and the windshield.... changed that stuff too. The lights were not bright enough for me and the spoked wheels although quiet nice to look at were a bear to clean... I could go on, but you will get bored. Now here is the real kicker, I loved the bike the day I took it home. Yet, now I love it even more. Good luck

Quick Reply: 2009 Road King Classic - Novice Needs Advice