Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someones bike fell

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM
jaymcgil19
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know for sure but to me it looks like Harbor Freight jacks and Sears Craftsman jacks are one in the same.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
This is why straps should be used.
What good would straps have done? The bottle would have let go, the lift arms would have fell, the straps would have loosened, the bike still would have fallen over.

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 01-14-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 AM
jchill
Advanced

jaymcgil19,
I agree with you on the two being almost the same. I bought the Harbor Freight one (my RK Classic sitting on it right now with the lock on!) and compared it to the Craftsman that the neighbor has. I could not see much difference at all. You go to blogs on the Craftsman jack and see lots of complaints on the seals going bad. Price wise, when Craftsman goes on sale, it's the same price as HF BUT for $12.00 at HF you get a full replacement for 1 year. Sears gives you like 90 days, period.
Untill proved otherwise, I'll stay with the one I have.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 AM
sparky1
Road Captain

You always get what you pay for,whether its tools or anything else.You skimp you loose 99% of the time.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RDKingRider
LOL he would have done better by going to wally world for the tools, Harbor Freight the dollar store of tools
As a general statement I must disagree with you. I have mostly HF and Craftsman tools here and over the years have replaced more Craftsman for breakage than HF. Both have lifetime warranties on their hand tools. There may be some items in the HF lineup that are sub-par, but there are also some stellar values like their torque wrenches. Mine test out almost perfect across their ranges, have not failed in 10 years, cost $15-20 each, and have a lifetime warranty. Are there any other TQ wrenches on the market with a lifetime warranty? I sold my $300+ Snap-On TQ wrench that was seldom used when it tested much worse than the HF units, and Snap-On wanted $40 to calibrate it.

I just bought a ratcheting air-hose reel from Lowe's for $60 that is identical to the HF reel ($50, now on sale for $45), the only difference being the latter has 25' vs. 50' of hose. I went with the Lowe's reel because it had more hose and I had a $15 coupon. Many of HF's tools are identical to those sold elsewhere, usually at higher prices.

My point is that not everything in the store is sub-par in quality, any more than all Craftsman or other brands are all above-par.

Last edited by iclick; 01-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Sears and a Harbor Freight situated right next to each other so I'm always comparing back and forth . . .

When I was looking at jacks here's what was available:

This is the Sears yellow jack for $199.00

And here's the two jacks they had at Harbor Freight:

This first one was $165

And this one below was $79

The $79 one HF had on the floor was broken just from people trying it out, LOL . . .

But I couldn't find much difference, if any at all, between the other two. The HF one had good "feel" to it, and a better price, so I purchased it.

I haven't had much weight on it yet, but after a month I'm happy with it. Works very smoothly, and it's easy to lower slowly if you're not ham handed.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
TMART
Road Master

I have the HF jack and it works great.Before I bought it I was reading threads here about jacks.It seemed to be alot of problems with the seals leaking on the craftsman and most people that had the HF jack were happy.Your gonna have bad apples in every bunch.I have to put seals in my snap-on every couple of years and I thought that was one of the very best on the market.Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

A bad seal could happen to any jack. This is one reason I don't store my bike on a jack during winter. I wouldn't trust it, not even with the locks set and the pressure relieved. I'm also not a fan of placing unsprung weight on the frame for long periods.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing with the J & S... it that one leaked down, and the kickstand was down on the bike... It would just put the bike on the ground on its kickstand. HAHA!

I, also, was a 'snob' with tools. But HF does, indeed, have some value in what they sell. A LOT of times, as a contractor, we need that 'one special tool' for a job. So, I could buy a Greenlee, or real Rigid, or whatever for big bucks and let it sit for two years until needed again,. Or... I could buy a HF tool that may only last the length of the job, but can easily pay for the whole tool through that one job.

A power pony pipe threader comes to mind right now.

Then do a ' its broke' return and have a NEW free tool in the garage for two years until needed again.

Locks are on all jacks (even J&S) for a reason.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love when people get pissed off at someone else ove their own idiocy. I can just see how that conversation at HF would have gone down.

"How may I help you Sir?"
"Your stupid jack gave out and dropped my bike, and I'm pissed"
"Well Sir, was the bike tied down?"
"No"
"Did you have the locks engaged?"
"Ummmm, no."
"Next customer...."

Quick Reply: Someones bike fell