Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Denim Paint Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Stevenml155
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Denim Paint Owners...

how is the paint wearing on your bikes? Would you do it again or....?
Considering a purchase looking for some insight....thanks!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Ride2Glide
Novice

I don't own a denim colored bike but was looking to trade in my '06 Black Cherry Glide for an '09 Glide in Denim Pewter. Thought this would be more forgiving with the dust and dirt after a long ride. Then the dealer mentioned they were seeing some bikes coming in spotty with the satin finish becoming 'glossy' if you rub a spot too much. Has anyone experienced this? Thought it was funny - the glossy surface can get scratched and dull while the satin finish gets shiny....go figure. I think he talked me out of the Denim Pewter for the Pewter Pearl but I would be interested to hear if this is true.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the satin finish becoming 'glossy' if you rub a spot too much
i have heard about this, but not experienced it. that being said i don't clean mine a lot, because you don't have to. easiest paint i have ever owned to care for. i saw a denium gray eg standard the other day. i thought it looked great and would be a great platform to build from.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

I haven't had any problems with the paint so far. I've done my share of rubbing on one spot to get it clean, but no problems. Would I do it again? Hell ya! I haven't seen one denim black EGS on the road since I purchased it in August.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer

I had a black denim Nite Rod. Loved it at first but not after a very short time. Showed every little scratch. Some called it 'character'. I called them scratches and abrasion. Traded it for a pewter denim SG. Love this color. Shows very little imperfections or dirt.

And yes....if you rub it with a mild abrasive polish or cleaner, it will turn shiney.

Last edited by MODCOBRA; 01-14-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to get my RK painted black denim, but after hearing all of these same things a while back, I decided against it

Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

r8rs4lf that is a killa ride. the night train of the baggers. bad azz man.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Stevenml155
Tourer

thanks for the feedback on the denim paint. I'm on the fence with it -- I like the idea of not having to wax/polish etc as my last bike (Heritage Softail) was a chrome beauty, but I think this time the simplicity of the brushed pieces and denim paint is calling my name. Those FLHT's in black denim are just mean looking bikes - and hard to find, which I also like! My dealer said it will wear to a shine in high wear spots...when and if it gets to that - I guess I could have all the tins repainted with something custom. Decisions, decisions...!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM
phattey
Cruiser

One of the VP guys at my dealership has a black denim EGS. He says he cleans it with windex...states that's the product you're supposed to use.

His bike is Bad A$$..!! Hot 103 and all the goodies. He replaced the heads and they're black which looks crazy retro on that bike's silver motor. Remember some of the old harley engines looked like that...jugs silver, heads black..

Anyway, he loves his and I gotta admit...if the FLHX had that paint, I would've done it. The gloss vivid black is the worst paint I've had. Not enough clear to manange all the scratches it picks up. A painter buddy of mine..Mark Sporka (famous down this way) says all harley had to do would've been to throw some candy in that black and it'd be much more tolerent to swirls and light scrathces.

Back to the topic...I'd get the black denim if it was in an flhx...

Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the black, if it has some swirls so be it. It's got scars like me

Quick Reply: Black Denim Paint Owners...