Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:01 AM
tlindell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of oil pressure

I have an 02 Electra Glide Classic. I just hit 40K miles. My oil pressure has always run at 32 psi on the road and about 0 when idling. Two days ago I was out on a ride and I was having trouble getting pressure above 16 psi. Oil levels are fine. Changed oil and filter 300 miles ago. Any thoughts on why the pressure which has been very consistent for 4 years would suddenly drop?

Old 04-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: Loss of oil pressure

If the pressure drop occurred ofter the oil change, I would suspect a bad oil filter. It could be a problem with the internal bypass valve or the media has collapsed. Either way, change the filter and see if that helps.

I notice this is your first post, a warm welcome to the forum from Walker Basin, California.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:29 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

May want to check your cam chain tensioner. When they wear out they can break away the shoe and get into the oil pump.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Toytech
Tourer

You might want to test or cut to the chase and replace the pressure sending unit. Just my two Euro.

Joe

Old 04-15-2006, 08:27 PM
roadglide65
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with kruzin on this one. Do you have oil coming back threw your return line? Pull the dip stick when it is running and see if any oil is going back in the pan.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:55 AM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

My bike did almost the same thing. We were riding home from the Strawbery Festival in Plant City (Florida) about a a month ago.
We had traveled about 10 miles , when we stopped for a red light. The oil light came on and the gauge whet to zero. Revved it
slightly and the oil light went out. Stopped at a nearby park and checked the oil. It was full so we headed home while watching the oil
pressure like a hawk. Pressure topped out at about 15 PSI for a couple miles then shot up to about 50 PSI for about 10 miles.
Did the same thing the next day so I made an appt. at the dealer to drop it off for the week I went to to school in Houston TX.
Called from TX and they said the oil pressure was too high so they ordered me a cam support plate because the oil pressure relief
valve comes in the plate. Took about 8 working days to arrive and another for them to install. I am glad they did not replace only
the spring and valve as the bore it rides in could be the problem. Anyway it now is back to normal! (30 ish revved and 15 or so hot idle)
You may have a oil pressure relief valve problem! The only way to test it is to remove the oil pressure sensor and connect a mechanical
gauge to test pressure. We do this on cars with oil pressure ailments(I'm a Benz Tech). Although these bikes don't need much pressure,
they can't run with none!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:52 PM
tlindell
6th Gear
Default RE: Loss of oil pressure - Fixed!

The man of the year award goes to Grover! I figured I would start with the easiest fix first. I changed the oil filter and the pressure immediately returned to 32 psi. I took it for a nice drive, and pressure stayed at that level just like in the past. Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I did order a baisley bypass spring and will still install that when it comes in.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

That is what this forum is about - bikers helping bikers.

Glad it is fixed.

Now - how about some pictures of you ride?

Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The man of the year award goes to Grover! I figured I would start with the easiest fix first. I changed the oil filter and the pressure immediately returned to 32 psi. I took it for a nice drive, and pressure stayed at that level just like in the past. Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I did order a baisley bypass spring and will still install that when it comes in.
You gotta love the Forum. Tech advice and good friends 24/7. [&:]