Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our internet bought parts are fixing to get more expensive

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Our internet bought parts are fixing to get more expensive

You know, I probalby spend 800-1000/month buying custom and factory parts off the internet.....

I use guys like Zanotti's for factory parts and other etailers for custom parts....I always look for 'free shipping and no sales taxes' plus the best price deals when buying.

When using a guy like Zanotti's, I save 30%....20% of that on the cost of the parts plus 10% in local sales taxes....Yeah, I pay a little shipping fee, but still, it's a pretty good deal, huh?

All that might change soon.....Read this:

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/793

Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean everyone doesn't report what they have bought online on their income tax at the end of the year?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
You mean everyone doesn't report what they have bought online on their income tax at the end of the year?
Not me.....I use the SUPER EZ1040.....It has only one question and two lines of instructions.

The question reads, "How much did you make last year?"......The only other line reads, "Send it in."

Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just watch out when buying parts from the internet.. they might say one price somewhere thats the discount but then you add the 2-5 things you need with it and those prices are not the discount price you expect and or could be more than the HD book list.

Like I was pricing the whole CB setup for my 09 streetglide: went to Chicago HD and after the unit itself the other stuff was more money than Zanottis prices on the same stuff and they differed from HDs catalog book. But then again Zanottis price on certain things was lower than Chicago's HDs price.. etc..

Then again if you look in the JP catalog certain things are more money there than you expect to pay with no discount at a HD dealer... A lot of things aren't tho.. just gotta watch the numbers.

Last edited by vertigo14; 01-13-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
oinker02
Banned

I've stopped buying from guys like J&P and Drag Spec for several reasons....

They print and mail too many expensive catalogs so of course their prices must be higher to cover overhead...and they are higher for that reason.

Second, too many times the suff from those big guys ends up being out of stock and backordered for weeks.

I'm lucky in that I can spend 8 hours a day on the internet shopping parts while at work earning 35/hour.....

I use the J&P type guys to learn of all the neat stuff by reading their catalogs, then go find it cheaper and in stock elsewhere on the internet....then drill down further till I can find it with free shipping.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
I don't think that's what's being discussed. I read it that the push is for etailers to charge the tax when you order the item. It won't be your option to dodge it.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the old adage; Two things are certain in life...Death & Taxes!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

well its just a matter of time before big brother gets the taxes from all internet sales including ebay, we have no constitution anymore

Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racklefratz
I don't think that's what's being discussed. I read it that the push is for etailers to charge the tax when you order the item. It won't be your option to dodge it.
Yes, that is correct, i was just looking at it from the "other side" The states where these etailers are located are missing out on the sales tax that woudl be paid if the purchasers were in state. This legislation is essentially forcing them to charge that tax so that the state gets it. My Michigan state tax return form asks if i've purchased things out of state via the internet, and i am in turn taxes (6% here in michigan) on those items. Basically the honor system for allowing michigan to get the tax they are "owed"

Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM
oinker02
Banned

It's actually overdue-not that I agree with it.

This suckbutt economy has caused many states and localities to either cut some of their expensive social programs(never happen) or increase tax revenues....So all of us can expect increased taxes and increased tax generating bases....We can also expect increased traffic enforcement and associated fines/fees.

As a former state code enforcement officer, it didn't take me long to realize that my prime reason to exist was to collect revenue via 'law enforcement' activity. My job was to inspect and beat folks on the head with the rule book and levy fines. We in the code enforcement department generated enuff revenue to pay all our operating cost plus several million surplus that was turned over to state general fund for the pols to give out when buying votes.

Quick Reply: Our internet bought parts are fixing to get more expensive