Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Two Up.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:49 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Riding Two Up.....

Good mornin' riders. I'm about to experience something new. I've always been a solo rider and didn't have too much difficulty with carrying my belongings on my bike. All of that is about to change, however, as my "new" partner can't wait to take the long trips road trips with me. My road trips usually last between 2 and 3 weeks. I would really appreciate receiving some tips from experienced 'two up" riders in regards to:
1) The most efficient way to pack the bike - including emergency tools
2) Any storage devices that can be used with two up riding
3) Any advice as to what to take besides the cold weather and rain gear from the lady's "point of view"
4) Any other “2 UP" advice would also be greatly appreciated. I do plan on taking a "2 UP" riding course in the early spring just to become aware of any riding nuances.

Your advice and suggestions are always appreciated.

Cheers

Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1)Heavy items in your side bags. You want to keep the weight over the rear wheel and as low as possible.
2) A good bag with plent of 'D' rings for tying down and tying on equipment. Kury Ultra Tour bag is good. Lid Haulers with stuff bags for light items like sleeping bags or jackets.
3)A cap or bandana for 'Helmet hair'. One pair of comfortable shoes when off the bike.
4)With 2up the weight is toward the rear so the front is a little lighter. You will have plenty of traction but be aware of weight shifts if she moves when riding. You will have to train her to let you know before she wants to adjust her seating position. Make her get off before you try and park the bike, tell her when you are ready for her to get on.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
jackja25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing is do a search on this forum and you will find lots of advice from the ladys perspective. Also with the lady on board the bike will definately have a different feel. A little top heavy, especially in tight slow turns. That is where you need to practice (at least in my case). I can make u-turns in 18 feet with no problems. But with my wife on board it is difficult. Have not been able to practice much with her, only hands on. Hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

With the extra weight also increase tyre pressures and adjust your suspension. If you leave them at solo settings the tyres will not track as straight as when solo, may even give you 'moments' in bends and the bike will ride lower, with less ground clearance - that will really grab your attention.

Practice with your new pillion on short trips before you set off on the long one! If she is a novice and you want her to ride often, be verrrrry smoooooth with the controls, to give her an easy time back there. No clutch dumping, banging in the gears, grabbing the brakes, running lights, suicide lane changes, you know - the stuff you do without thinking! You want her to get off wide eyed with delight, not fear....

Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has been riding with me for 30+ years so I might need a class on solo riding. The best recommendation is to keep her dry, comfortable, and happy. I would put an intercom on the bike. An extra set of eyes and communication for murging onto the freeways is a plus. Music and conversation helps her enjoy long rides. Packing is something that takes practice. You eventually know what essentials to pack. Remember, if you find something on the road you like, but don't have the room, just Fedex it back home. As far as the extra weight, you should get used to it. She will need some advice on how to ride and transfer her body weight with you and the bike. I hope it works out for you. Its good therapy for both of you. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type bike? Have her hold on to your belt, waist so that she stays in sync w you. Whenever my OL hold on behind her I notice the difference. Have her stay still when stoped and less talking as she will shift her weight. Of coarse on the road get her comfortable in the corners so that she doesn't try to lean more than you or the opposite directions, sort of neutral in sync w you.
You mentioned you have good rain gear, don't forget her feet and hands, we use totes and rubber duck hunting gloves. Make sure she stays away fr the pipes when getting on and off, enuff said.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

1 good tip is when you lean into a turn have her look over your shoulder of the

direction you are turning left turn her head is over your left shoulder this helps

distribute the weight and get hers used leaning with you my wife goes almost

everwhere i go to and on 7 day rides we also have intercoms and she helps out

with the gps off the phone to -rdie safe

Old 01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
My wife has been riding with me for 30+ years so I might need a class on solo riding. The best recommendation is to keep her dry, comfortable, and happy. I would put an intercom on the bike. An extra set of eyes and communication for murging onto the freeways is a plus. Music and conversation helps her enjoy long rides. Packing is something that takes practice. You eventually know what essentials to pack. Remember, if you find something on the road you like, but don't have the room, just Fedex it back home. As far as the extra weight, you should get used to it. She will need some advice on how to ride and transfer her body weight with you and the bike. I hope it works out for you. Its good therapy for both of you. Good luck.
I have only just bought an intercom for my old Glide (also a satnav!), yet to fit it, but a great idea. This couple has yet to blossom on the bike, so it may be a bit early for an intercom!

For getting on and off the bike I often let her get on first, with the bike on the jiffy, then get on myself and the reverse when getting off. Makes getting the bike off the jiffy a bit of an effort, but I find it even more effort hanging onto the bike when my wife gets on the normal way.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
007 ultra
Tourer

Rode two up for years.

Carry only what is required as on a bike you can't take the entire house nor the entire bathroom with you.

Bare necessities is all you really need anyway. Travel size toilet items .... and buy more as needed while on your trip.

Adjust your tire pressure according to the mfg specs ....... and air shocks too if so equipped.

You 'travel partner' should sit on the bike as a secured part of the bike when you are turning ......... and not try to lean or whatever as it will 'throw' your balance and control.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
The best recommendation is to keep her dry, comfortable, and happy.
Truer words were never spoken.

1. You'll learn about packing. Put everything on bed you both NEED & start from there. you'll learn quick what you can do without.
2. As someone stated, heavy items in saddlebags so weight is low.
3. The recommendation of Kuryakyn bag is good.
4. Make sure she ALWAYS informs you of when she is going to shift her weight or position. Nothing like doing 70 MPH and all of the sudden she decides to move around some.
5. Pack items you might need quickly(i.e. warm gear, rain suits, etc.) where you can get to it QUICK.

Quick Reply: Riding Two Up.....