Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from rear pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from rear pulley

while riding yesterday I heard a noise like swooshing squeaky kind of thing from the rear wheel applied the rear brakes to see if having the pads locking down on the rotor would change the sound it did not , so figured to get home right away .after jacking up the rear wheel and turning it it now sounds like sand rubbing inside the IDS then I gave a tug back and forth on the rear pulley and it moved .so now off to the dealer thinking the bolts that hold the pulley to the rear wheel are loosening up ,I get there and talk to one of the mechanics and he tells me that the rear pulley on the 08 Ultra is only held in place by the rear Axel and that when they take it apart it will come out as separate unite Wheel ,IDS and pulley ? and that's why I was able to get movement when I tugged on it but they will check it out .So now I'm home going over the manual and see bolts that I believe are holding the pulley to the wheel so does anyone know if the mechanic was being straight with me? Been riding a lot of years and always thought these parts were bolted together so any movement is a problem
any thoughts or coments Thanks Ian

Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

The inner shell of the IDS is bolted to the wheel. The outer shell where the belt rides is not. Force is transmitted from the outer shell to the inner shell through 6 replaceable rubber pieces. Rubbers could be worn or the bearing that the outer shell rides on has been known to go bad.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealer is blowing you off!...Your pulley bearing is shot!

That pulley should not move when to try to flex it with your hands.....You are riding a DANGEROUS bike. Haul it in and demand they inspect the IDS.

There have been many reports of ids pulley bearing failures on '07 and '08 bikes, especially the '07's where ids was added by dealer or customers.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

Update ----the dealer called told me the drive belt was harder in composition then anything he has seen and it wore out the 2 drive pulleys he also stated that the belt was tighter then it should be but that wasn't to bad but they are replacing all of it under the warranty
now I have more questions than before as to why this happened with only 10,500 on the bike ,hopefully this wont happen again in another 10,000 miles still in over 35years riding I havent heard of this one

Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

First, when you change tires, inspect the wheel bearings, and if they are suspect, replace them, and at the same time the IDS bearing should be changed. Until the aftermarket catches up and makes a bearing that will hold up (CAN YOU HEAR ME TIMKEN?) this is the drill.
Second, buy the belt guage and check your belt peiodically. It's not that expensive. Buy the socket that fits your axle nut, mine is a 36mm, and a torque wrench.
Third, get a shop manual and learn how to change tires, check wheel bearings, check belt tension and other maintenance items.
If you DON'T do this, you are stuck with someone elses opinion. And someone else will read in the paper about some dude crashing on the freeway. Seems his rear wheel fell off, investigaters said..............

Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

have the manual and tools that's why I'm questioning the repair and the fact that I was able to move the rear sprocket with that its a warranty job and once I discovered the play its up to the dealer to fix it just not liking their explanation of the problem .I will check the parts after the job is done