Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:20 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Question Lifter advice

Going back to a gear drive setup this week with a 585 S&S cam. Wondering what if anything I should do about changing out the lifters which are the stock ones presently with only a couple of thousand miles on them. I had all S.E. lifters which were installed during the 95" build with one that failed which caused damage to all parts in the cam chest. I was able to salvage the gear set. So I am wondering if I should be looking at other than stock lifters for these cams? Or will stock lifters be dependable with lift of cam setup? The dealers that I have spoke with tell me they have had several of the S.E. lifters fail which caused similar problems and they no longer install these. And I would like take whatever action needed to avoid this from ever reoccurring?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:26 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Going back to a gear drive setup this week with a 585 S&S cam. Wondering what if anything I should do about changing out the lifters which are the stock ones presently with only a couple of thousand miles on them. I had all S.E. lifters which were installed during the 95" build with one that failed which caused damage to all parts in the cam chest. I was able to salvage the gear set. So I am wondering if I should be looking at other than stock lifters for these cams? Or will stock lifters be dependable with lift of cam setup? The dealers that I have spoke with tell me they have had several of the S.E. lifters fail which caused similar problems and they no longer install these. And I would like take whatever action needed to avoid this from ever reoccurring?
I overheard one of the guys at a local dealership say that they always install Fuleing (I think I spelled that right) lifters with any aftermarket cams in the twinkies.

I'm guessing that you'll get lots more advice on this question before long.

Good luck,

Hohn

Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good luck with the AMS lifters. Good product, reasonable price. Here is the link.

http://www.automotivemachine.com/harley.htm

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 736 Likes on 275 Posts

I used the Jim's Hydrosolid II's.

They were a little tricker to adjust, but I'm happy with them.

My .02 :-)