Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Pullbacks-It can be done

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Pullbacks-It can be done

I don't know why I waited so long but I just finished installing Flanders #650-08725 touring pullback bars. I have read over and over again how this can't be done with an 08 Ultra with ABS. Back in September I installed KhromeWerks 300515 +2 sweeper bars because I knew you didn't need to install a longer brake line---a tip of the hat to " Dawg " for this bit of info, I did at that time install a +3 inch clutch cable #38649-08 another tip of the hat to Dawg for this part #. The 515s were a step in the right direction but I still had to lean forward to reach the bars and they are very wide at 34". So I see these Flanders bars on E bay and win the auction, that was 6 months ago. So yesterday a light went on in my head and thought the 2 bars are very different in shape but the overall length from center to either end is within 1/4" of each other. I measured using a piece of wire like a tape measure. So I took a gamble and it paid off. All of the wireing is long enough, the front brake line is long enough , the clutch cable was the only new part I needed. 3 hrs and 50min later I had the bars I have wanted for almost a year. I am a small guy 5'5" 150lbs with 28"inseam these bars have at least 2" more pullback and are 2" taller than the stock harley bar. I just completed a 20 mile shake down ride in the rain at 38deg and from this little amount of riding I can tell these bars are the one. I can now sit fully relaxed with a nice bend in my elbow and not stretching at all. WoooHooo
I almost forgot the Flanders bars do not come pre notched for the throttle by wire sensor. I did this myself with a small angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, I also had to cut the hole in the center of the bars for the TBW wiring.

Tim

Last edited by Oldman Harley; 01-10-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance you could give us a picture from the riders perspective? Sounds like just what I am looking for!

Last edited by DoomBuggy; 01-11-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed reach bars on my 06 about 2 yrs ago. Much better for us "normal" guys! Those abnormally tall people....

Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know that the mother of invention is alive and kicking. Congrats.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have just bought the Chrome RK high bars from harley. They now have the 08 version notched and ready, and it's exactly what you explained for 2" up and 2" back. Says they don't work on ABS bikes, but obviously they never tried installing them. I did, fit perfect. 6,000 miles on em, so far so good. I'm 5-7, and I love em!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 PM
SGChick
Tourer

I've been eyeing the Flanders Pullbacks for a long time myself. Being a woman at 5'4" I would like the bars a little closer. So many people have gone to the wild ones bars, but they are also wider than stock which I don't need. I know the Flanders are a little pricey, but one of these days I'm going to try them. Glad they worked out for you!!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:21 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Oldman Harley: Are the Flanders #650-08725 touring pullback bars designed for internal wiring? I'm guessing they aren't because you mentioned drilling the center of the bars for the TBW. Did you change to the one piece handle bar clamp to reinforce the drilled center of the new bars?

I'm in the middle of changing my bars from stock to WO575's. Ineresting project.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

Peddler the clamp on the 08 is a one piece clamp and I would say negative on the internal wiring these bars are dimpled.
SGChick these are the bars you are looking for they are 31" wide--same as stock but are more expensive than harley bars but cheaper than Wild Ones 575's.
Johhny D I would have probably tried the Road King bars had I known about them.

DoomBuggy I will post some photo's tommorrow.
Tim

Last edited by Oldman Harley; 01-10-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldman Harley
Johhny D I would have probably tried the Road King bars had I known about them.
I know. Just sayin though. I don't brag a lot of H-D parts, but these were the best money I've spent on one to date. Maybe someone else can benefit from them. I spent countless hours researching bars on this forum, and at the H-D shop before I dived into a pair. Again, thanks to all the members on here. This place does rock!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oldman Harley do you want to sell the KhromeWerks bars? If so let me know.

Quick Reply: Touring Pullbacks-It can be done