Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Parts from ChicagoHD

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 PM
rrsjs5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Parts from ChicagoHD

..for you guys that have ordered them,whats been the average wait? Only been almost 3 weeks but I'm getting antsy!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
WHOSNEXT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rrsjs5
..for you guys that have ordered them,whats been the average wait? Only been almost 3 weeks but I'm getting antsy!

i ordered something on 11/20/08 from them and still dont have it, i called this week and they said could be the end of this month?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

They don't carry about anything in stock. They go straight to the HD warehouse wherever that is. So there will ALWAYS be a wait.

The price you pay for 20% off. Worthy if you ask me. I've saved thousands over the years if I was willing to wait a few (or more) weeks for it.

One thing to point out. Any dealership that does not have the part you are looking for locally has to go get the part from the HD supply system (warehouse) just like Chicago Harley. At least with Chicago you are saving 20%...

lp

Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

It CAN take up to 8 weeks, for paint to match parts, then it has to be shipped to you.

The Cobalt Blue 07 tourpak I ordered from Zonnoties took 5-6 weeks as I recall. The Redhot Sunglow 09 Tourpak I got from my dealer took about 3.

My understanding is that the factory paints certain colors on certain days, and cycles through them in a certain order, in conjunction with current bike production, so it all depends on what color you ordered, and what day the order was submitted. If you ordered Cobalt Blue 3 days after they just did a Cobalt Blue run, then you will have a longer wait that if you ordered it several weeks after the last time they ran that color, as they would then be closer to running that color again.

I was also told that NEW colors for new product years tend to be put on high priority, which is why my 09 Redhot Sunglow tourpak came fairly fast, as I ordered the bike/parts 3 weeks after they were introduced. (they want to keep early buyers of new model years happy and get the new colors out on the road to be seen)

Current production colors take next priority, and NON current colors take last priority. The popularity of the color and how many current bikes are being produced at a given time in that color, also affects how often its run... vivid black tends to be done faster as they sell a lot of bikes in that color and do multiple runs of that color for the accessory parts, for example.

Most of the big ticket paint to match parts are NEVER kept "in stock". They are literally painted specifically when someone orders them. If someone has one "in stock" its a fluke, not the general rule. They also do not pull the parts out of bike production stock to sell for accessories.

This is just what I was told. (by Zannoties and my dealer)

Last edited by flyingace; 01-10-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will tell you one thing about Chicago HD, the 20% off is good, actually it is GREAT! The sales staff there is GREAT! The Service and Parts departments there SUCK to say the least. I had ordered parts from there (its one of my local dealers), after I purchased my bike from there, and they had NOTHING in stock. I ordered a SE AC, and a SERT, it took almost a month to get, after I went back in and explained that I dont understand the delay, I bought my bike from them and I"m looking to spend more money and they have nothing in stock and the wait is unrealistic, they walked in the back and produced all the parts that I ordered.... sounded wierd to me I would have to assume that they took someone elses parts and gave them to me to make me happy, not to mention once I got the parts I made the short walk over to the service department and then they told me that it would be another month until they could fit me into their shop. Again that was totally unacceptable! I would expect a little more from a shop that I bought my bike from, and I highly doubt they are that busy! Lastly, I just went in there the other day and spoke with the service people reference a painted inner fairing, and I asked if they had apainter on staff or someone they send parts out to for paint, since I'm hoping to get Pez's Hod Pods and would like them to match the fairing paint color, they stated they dont have a painter and couldn't help me with painted parts unless they came directly from HD already painted.... its sad the customer service you receive. Not no mention their labor prices are higher than any other dealership in the area! Just giving you the heads up! There are a lot of dealerships that offer 20% off, I would suggest you use them... just my .02.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lastly I asked them about laobr rates and times to remove a inner fairing and reinstall the painted one, they told me close to 5 hours... I went to the other local HD shop to me and they told me 2.5 hours... how the hell does this make sense? Think about it... can job twice the time, meaning twice the money!!!! Do your research!!! And beware of Chicago HD

Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Many dealers will quote 8-12 weeks for painted parts. You can probably get a current production painted part much sooner. If you are getting "antsy" after only three weeks, you will be a wreck if you have to wait the full 12 weeks.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM
rrsjs5
Road Captain

..guess I'm just more curios then antsy,I'ts only Tour pac and saddle bag spoiler LED's,all other mods are done so I can still ride ,just the nature of the beast to want what you want,when you want it.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rerb95
lastly I asked them about laobr rates and times to remove a inner fairing and reinstall the painted one, they told me close to 5 hours... I went to the other local HD shop to me and they told me 2.5 hours... how the hell does this make sense? Think about it... can job twice the time, meaning twice the money!!!! Do your research!!! And beware of Chicago HD
4 to 4.5 hours is what my dealer charged me for changing the inner fairing and I've done enough work there to know I can trust them. The 2.5 hours may not be accurate and if it isn't a firm estimate, you might end up spending more than the 2.5 hour labor cost.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
molsen
Road Master

Chicago HD is a nice place, buty takes forever to get parts in. Usually a 3-4 week turnaround. Easy to deal with though.

Quick Reply: Painted Parts from ChicagoHD