Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ultra wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 AM
dlowder
Advanced
Location: Lived 52 years in Thomasville NC and moving to Edgewaterpark NJ in Feb.09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ultra wont crank

I have done a search on the electrical and touring forum trying to dx my problem w/o much luck. This may be a little long winded, so bear with me, just trying to give all the info. I installed the heat deamon grip warmers on a 05 ultra and when it was put back together the engine wont turn over and none of the right hand controls werent working. I found the problem to be i think the small rectangluar orange seal on the 12 pin connector had come off the groove and wasnt allowing a connection. Anyway i was riding again, however i noticed the rubber seal around the sound system wasnt seated properly and had to remove the radio again to get the seal seated. Not sure if i pulled the maxi fuse or not before i started the work. Got it put back together and all the right hand controls seem to be working except nothing happens when the start button is pressed. During one of my searchs on here i read how to check the starter relay but it was slightly over my head and i cant seem to locate that thread again. I dont have any mechanical or electrical background but do have the service manual and a multi meter. However i dont have any experince using the meter tracking down elec. problems. Just recently became unemployed due to this recession were in and an trying to solve this myself without going to the shop and buying parts that arent needed. I feel that it is a simple fix for those that are well educated in this field. I thought I might have a battery getting weak because it was always sluggish to start when i bought the bike used and thought thats just the way it is however when i took out the battery noticed the neg. term. a little loose and when it did crank the last few times the engine turned over much quicker. When the maxi fused has been pulled and put back in with the battery connected i hear a noise like wind is passing thru somewhere. When ign. switch is turned on i hear a humming for a couple seconds i assume this is the fuel pump not sure since i am fairly new to the Harley world. Anyway after turning on ign. switch waitng a couple seconds before hitting start button nothing happens no clicking from the starter area and i dont hear or feel the 2 starter relays clicking. I sure hope someone can give me some detailed info on what to check for and how in terms that i can understand. Thanks David.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

When you installed the heated grips.

There is a distinct possibility that you "pinched" the wires from your right hand controls when reassembling the right grip. (real easy to do)

There is an "indent" in the handlebar that accepts the wires when tightening down the front brake lever clamp. If you don't get the wire harness positioned cleanly in this indent when torquing down the clamp bolts you can pinch (and cut) the wires in the harness.

To check this:
Unplug the connector under the front fairing, get out your electrical manual and do a continuity check on the wires from the switch and also from the wires to ground.

I know you said you thought you found the problem with the weather seal in the connector, but you may of just moved the wires while working on that to get them to work temporarily.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
dlowder
Advanced
Location: Lived 52 years in Thomasville NC and moving to Edgewaterpark NJ in Feb.09

After the heated grip install i rode the bike for a week or so w/o any problem starting what so ever it even cranked quicker since the neg. term. was tighten. After removing the radio the second time w/o messing with the rt. hand controls is when then not starting problem happen again. But i am willing to try any and everthing within reason to find this problem. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by dlowder
After the heated grip install i rode the bike for a week or so w/o any problem starting what so ever it even cranked quicker since the neg. term. was tighten. After removing the radio the second time w/o messing with the rt. hand controls is when then not starting problem happen again. But i am willing to try any and everthing within reason to find this problem. Thanks.
Understandable, but you also were under the fairing once again and could have moved the wires again to where they shorted back out.

Unplugging and checking the wires is a real easy check. It will also check the condition of the momentary contact switch on the right grip.

That will eliminate two steps in troubleshooting the problem. Then if that doesn't work, you will need to T/S the rest of the circuit to the relay.

Failing to find a problem there you then need to check the power side of the relay to the starter and from the battery. Then check the relay, also check the battery, and then also the starter.

And also if you have a H/D security system, it will disable the start circuit.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:41 AM
dlowder
Advanced

Originally Posted by SteelCityScooter
Understandable, but you also were under the fairing once again and could have moved the wires again to where they shorted back out.

Unplugging and checking the wires is a real easy check. It will also check the condition of the momentary contact switch on the right grip.

That will eliminate two steps in troubleshooting the problem. Then if that doesn't work, you will need to T/S the rest of the circuit to the relay.

Failing to find a problem there you then need to check the power side of the relay to the starter and from the battery. Then check the relay, also check the battery, and then also the starter.

And also if you have a H/D security system, it will disable the start circuit.
Ok headed to the garage shortly to check for power to the start switch. If that passes i may need a little more detailed info on the other checks since i am quite ignorant on this elect. stuff.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 PM
dlowder
Advanced

Originally Posted by dlowder
Ok headed to the garage shortly to check for power to the start switch. If that passes i may need a little more detailed info on the other checks since i am quite ignorant on this elect. stuff.
hey steel PM sent

Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM
wolfshead1
Tourer

Steelcity is telling you right,Mine did the same thing.The ident is tiny.Forcing it closed without alignment won't do anything but scar the wires.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 PM
dlowder
Advanced

Originally Posted by wolfshead1
Steelcity is telling you right,Mine did the same thing.The ident is tiny.Forcing it closed without alignment won't do anything but scar the wires.
I determined this afternoon that i still have continuity to the start switch and battery is fully charged. Went thru the procedure of resetting security system per owners manual, however the manual said to repeat the process but how many times? I did it 4 hoping that would solve the problem but still no go. In my search i saw something about the starter relays should click when start button is depressed however i dont hear or feel anything in either one. However i will need someone to tell me how to check those.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM
dunillo
6th Gear

thank you steel city shooter.

Brad