Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trim Ring "101'

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Trim Ring "101'

Ok guys. Just bought some French Chrome headlight trim rings from a fellow Forum member. Have any of you guys installed these? Any insight to specifically the passing lamps? I assume that the original rings come off and these replace them? And how do you get the headlight ring snug without a gap?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry bro, the headlight ring is gonna have a gap. Mine is about 1/4"! It goes on over the existing trim ring, after the existing ring retaing screw is loosened.

HD trim rings 69622-99B or 69732-05 for the passing lamps 2002 and later,
1. Remove existing ring.
2. Remove screw from new ring.
3. If not already installed, place the rubber strip inside the new trim ring. Align the rubber gap so it is oppisite the new trim ring gap.
4. Insert the lamp inside the new trim ring/ rubber strip.
5. Align the bottom of the glass lamp with the split in the trim ring.
6. 2002 and later- Install the ADAPTOR RING onto the passing lamp housing- line up the tab with the notch.
6a. INstall the trim ring and lamp assy onto the adaptor ring- align lug(s) on the glass with notches in the adaptor ring.
&. INstall screw and nut and tighten.

This is from the install sheet- I cant actually REMEMBER how to do it......

Last edited by Kbore; 01-09-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM
RichardH
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headlight Trim Ring

I played with the French headlight trim ring for an hour or so. I could not get it to seat evenly across the entire circumfrance of the light. I saw 1 bike with it on perfect but could not find the owner. I went to one of the mechanics at my local dealer and he wasn't really sure either. He said I would have to write a work order for them to work on it. I may end up doing this because it does bug me.
The passing light rings were a little struggle but went on OK. Just do exactly what it says in the instructions.

Rich

Old 01-10-2009, 12:22 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted pics in an earlier thread but they didn't come out( I probably screwd it up in the upload)
here's the trim rings on my 08 roadking. I got them to fit with no gap.
the pic says 2005 (bike is a 2008, I'm a mechanic, not a friggin photographer)

Last edited by DZLDR; 12-16-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I'm one of the lucky ones on the trim ring... I loosened the original screw (on the built-in trim) about a turn or so,*** put the new ring on and tightened it right up - Closed the gap, etc.

Although I still hate that it doesn't sit flush against (or at least much closer to) the lens...

*** Very important part that my buddy skipped (and his gap didn't close). Although even after, it still didn't quite close up. But it was much better.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Cruise
Advanced

I messed with the trim ring by directions installing it over the original ring with a gap. The new ring does have enough overlap clamp to seat in the indention but would be loose without the original ring. What it needs is a gasket to keep it tight and from wallowing around and rattling without using the original ring. I didn't have anything but industrial double stick side molding tape to make the gasket from but I put two rounds on it and installed the ring and it closes completely and is secure as if it was made for it. I often wish that HD would make a rubber ring gasket thick enough to do what I have done with the tape and eliminate the gap. I have been used to improvising with so many things over the years that this is just one more. There is an aftermarket trim ring that fits without original trim ring installed if you want to try that. Otherwise, live with it as it is with the gap or make a gasket without the original trim ring in place.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to be a bigger problem with the batwing bikes because the mounting hardware for the headlight pan is not adjustable and hard mounted to the batwing.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 AM
reelmcoy
Advanced

I left the origional trim ring off and my visor fits tight and has no gap.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Silverstone
Tourer
Question

Originally Posted by reelmcoy
I left the origional trim ring off and my visor fits tight and has no gap.
Are you on a batwing? I'm just about to fit the Harley one on my FLHT. I was thinking of leaving the original one off and making up the gap with some neoprene,like the passing lamp trim rings have.
Cheers.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Silverstone
Tourer

Just done mine,looks great. Slackened stock trim screw about 1 turn then pushed new trim over it.Tightened stock screw,Tightened new screw...fine.
Slight gap down Left side but that is because the headlight is aimed to dip that way,we drive on the wrong side of the road.
Passing lamp rings were difficult at first,then I read the instructions....easy then.
Turn signal rings. When you take the lenses off you'll see some small bumps top and bottom,cut these off with a craft knife then the o-ring will seat properly.
Hope this helps someone.