Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own their own business?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:36 PM
maxflhx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll work longer, harder and for less money than everybody else but very little is more rewarding.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:39 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can have it's advantages during riding season!!! But you do still work alot of hours.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM
TRVSDAD
Tourer

19 years being self employed in the insurance business. Definitly has rewards and drawbacks as well. Not everybody can run a business though. Have seen a lot of failures. Do it and good luck. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

I own my own company with multiple offices in different cities. It's a lot of work to manage the sales, the people, the inventory, and costs, but it's all worth it in the end when run properly. A few have said it well, as you have to know what type of money you're going to earn and the return on your investment. Don't buy just cause an old guy is going to show you how to run his gig, as he may not be the best businessman in the first place! A lot can be said from an in depth review of his books and he should be open to this if there kept well.

Be sure to have a Chartered Accountant look at the books to see how they were kept. That will give you an outside opinion as to how the numbers look (profit or loss) and if it's kept properly. One thing I am **** about in business is keeping books up to date, and very clean. There are many accounting programs on the market to help you with that, and you can always have the reconciliations done by others if journal entries aren't your thing. While it sometimes works, businesses can be hard on relationships, so be sure you both want to work together before having your spouse in with you, and if so leave the books for the person who manages the money. They're usually best at that! My advice is don't rush into if you know what I mean? Do your due dilligence before entering into anything and be sure to get an accountants opinion of the P&L statements and Balance Sheet!

Any good accountant can show you how the companies profit and loss reads, and this should let you know if it's the real deal, and what it's truly worth to buy. Good luck, have fun and let us know when you've done your first million!

Last edited by GasCan; 01-09-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Been in business since 1974 , worse economy we have ever seen, but with your type of bus and you have perks being a vet, you should be good to go......

Is that a beer boot from Germany in your sig, man those were the days....

Attached Thumbnails Anyone own their own business?-nicklogo02-type.jpg-biker.jpg  
Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by peddler
If you are the right person to start your own business your greatest challenge will be getting away from it. It's all about discipline.
I don't own a business, but I've sure been paying attention to what it's all about, and IMO, that just about says a mouthfull.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

In reading this thread it appears there is a repeating theme of "I've owned my business for x years and I could never go back to working for anyone else." I believe more accurately phrased it should be "I could never go back to working for someone else who owns the business I am in." If you start your own business you will find out while you may own the business you will be working for everyone of your customers, everyone of the manufacturers you represent/distribute/service, the bank if you have borrowed money to start the business and that's just a short list. In additon to that, if you are the right person to go into business you'll end up feeling a certain responsibility to your employees should you have any. Couldn't work for anyone else?....you ultimately work for everybody.

I said many times over the past 15 years since I started my business I had all of the answers only to find out I didn't know what most of the questions were. It has been a wonderful learning and very profitable experience but keep in mind there are no guarantees. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 PM
srm148
Advanced

People may laugh at this, but, I have my own Handyman business, and as simple as it may seem, I make pretty good money at it. People dont want to fix there own stuff, so I am the man they call....and, with the housing market the way it is, I am getting calls from mortgage companies as well wanting me to fix up there trashed houses..

Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a consulting business after retiring from DoD for 35 yrs. Average working about 10 hrs a week. Thought I'd ride the rest of the time, not a happening....

Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 PM
johnu
Cruiser

I have not heard you say if you have a passion for small engines????
If you are going to live and breathe a career you better like it up front. I knew years ago when I was 16-22 yrs old working two jobs, one which was retail on Saturdays.... I hated working weekends and knew then to steer away from anything requiring weekends. (Yes, I do trade shows etc on weekends once or twice a year, but not for the rest of my life!)
JU

Quick Reply: Anyone own their own business?