Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satelite radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Satelite radio reception

I have a Sirius Roady, and recently placed the antenna under the fairing on my 08RG. I rarely see three bars of reception on the display. Most of the time its on two, while on more open roads, and one bar on back roads. The radio also cuts out momentarily as if it has lost the signal, though its not showing a signal loss on the display. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas to make this better, or is it just the norm for this location with the antenna?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another mounting option that will allow the antenna in a clear view of the sky and not cut reception from the fairing.

http://www.shop.techncyclegear.com/p...&productId=147

Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 AM
cms1528
Cruiser

You can not block that antenna it really needs to see the sky as it were. The one in my car will loose the signal when I drive under an overpass, just because the antenna's reception was block only for a few moments.

I bought an antenna for my 07 Ultra that is about the size of a silver dollar with a strong magnet on the reverse side and just lay it on top of the master cylinder.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I have mine on a bracket on the radio under the fairing. Always at full bars even while traveling thru 8 western states last summer. The only time I loose it is in my garage.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain

you mention riding back roads.. if there's trees on the roads, they will block the signal.

satellite is in the southern sky, so your reception would be better than someone in northern part of us.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine also mounted inside the fairing on the radio, no problems.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i have the XM piece from HD on mine with the antenna mounted on the bracket near the radio in the fairing. never have any problems with it...

Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
bullseye
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have mine mounted on the radio under the fairing. However, I found that placing it at the back edge of the radio improves signal strength greatly.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 AM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This type antenna really needs a good ground plane under it. I've got XM on my Road Glide and had the antenna velcro mounted to the top of the radio and under inner fairing. Reception OK but had drop out problems in wooded areas. I tried mounting the antenna over the radio directly under windshield (exposed) and the reception almost completely went away. It was really bad. So I peeled off the velcro and magnet mounted the antenna under fairing on top of radio chassis - reception is great and almost never drops out.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
shredsurf
Road Master

I had my Siruis antenna on the roof of my Ford Escape UNDER the roof rack railing and the reception SUCKED. I moved it out from under the railing in the clear and haven't had a problem since. It will however cut out under certain overpasses here in NY/NJ.

Quick Reply: Satelite radio reception