Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satelite radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 PM
kart11
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trock
Your talking about the FM modulator that the FCC made them power down. FM modulation will never be as good as direct connecting. I had a older XM that when we tied our boats together 3-4 boats down could listen on their radios from my xm. Before I got the factory unit on my bike my friend could listen to my portable on his radio while riding behind me. The FCC got all excited because some cars were hearing the uncensored channels coming thru peoples radios while drive down the freeway. But none of that had anything to do with reception from the sat.

So thats why the newer radio i got didnt pick up for crap and the older ones work great ?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:16 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is mounted inside the fairing on top of the radio. It “sees” through fiberglass perfectly. No problems, even in my garage. I also have one mounted inside the fiberglass cap on the front of our motorhome with perfect reception. I also have another one mounted on the rear portion of the roof on our Toyota Tacoma. It works perfectly even in underground parking garages. Don’t know why, but it does

Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbos440rt
Under the fairing on top of the radio on my Road Glide gave me the worst recection of any of the places I tried it, might be because the radio is at a angle to the ground, any one seen a connector that would let you hook up 2 ant. (2 ant to the connector then one cable going to the Sat rec.) one ant. in front one ant. in back, I think that would solve a bunch of the rec problems!
Get the HD mounting bracket that goes on the side of the radio, it puts the antenna pointing up. Works flawless for me.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 PM
jumpseat
Stage I

Hey Shred, good to see you finally broke the bank and came around to to the HD way. Now you can finally stop feeling like the mis-fit in the group! Maybe now you'll get some respect!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by jumpseat
Hey Shred, good to see you finally broke the bank and came around to to the HD way. Now you can finally stop feeling like the mis-fit in the group! Maybe now you'll get some respect!
Hey jumpseat, that was your 1st post on HD Forums???

In the 10 yrs I rode my Suzuki, I NEVER felt like a mis-fit in ANY group (including the predominately HD club) I rode with years ago.

I never thought I needed to be on a Harley to "get some respect".

It's not WHAT you ride, it's IF you ride!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM
chris02324
Tourer

I had the one on the handlebars for awhile, it worked ok. Later I moved under the fairing stuck to the top of the radio. I found the under the fairing location to be better in my case. I lose the signal sometimes under heavy tree cover and sometimes it seems the signal is better at different times of the day. Can't explain that one, must be the satelites are better position through out the day.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mine mounted on top of the radio with two-sided tape on a bracket that I bent to be level with the ground. Im thinking that maybe grounding this bracket might help. I had it on the front brake resevoir and the reception was better, but Id rather have it out of sight.