Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARC Mini amp and speaker help!!!!!!!!! trying to install NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009 | 06:45 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

do you have a multimeter? Or even a test light? Check your voltage at the AMP. VOLTAGE ??

Are you getting a 12v +/- signal from your turn on lead?? BLUE wire

Old 01-09-2009 | 07:04 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Maybe if you post some pics of your wiring,this may help.
The best place for a ground is on the frame(bare metal)or neg. battery terminal.I grounded mine on the frame at the throttle cable strain relief under the tank.I removed the pop rivet and drilled/tapped the hole.Sanded the paint off for a good connection.
For the ignition operated power wire,splice into the cigarette lighter wire or remove the nut on the end and use a terminal.

Old 01-09-2009 | 07:14 AM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

you need to make sure you have the remote turn on powered as well. To test it just connect both the constant and remote turnon direct to battery and ground direct to battery to see if the light turns on. If the light doesn't turn on the amp is n/g

Old 01-09-2009 | 09:32 AM
johnkn
Tourer

You still have not verified you have main power going to the amp, the correct way to check it is NOT to pull the fuse and look for a spark, it's to put a meter on the large main power wire directly where it attaches to the amp. Only then will you know if you have power to the amp. Then run a large temporary ground to the amp as well if you need to. That will help you determine whether you have a main power problem or a switching issue. Good luck...

Old 01-09-2009 | 09:32 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08HD
Amp light has never came on no matter what I have tried.
Either your switched power wire is not hot (because your fuse is sparking ) or the fuse plugged into the amp is kaput.

Old 01-09-2009 | 10:02 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Buy a simple 12V test light and stop chattering about the simple stuff. Connect it and you will know if you have power or not. If you can't get that down, then you should take it to a shop and get it done!

Last edited by GasCan; 01-09-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-09-2009 | 10:24 AM
08HD
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mike5959
you need to make sure you have the remote turn on powered as well. To test it just connect both the constant and remote turnon direct to battery and ground direct to battery to see if the light turns on. If the light doesn't turn on the amp is n/g
Good idea, I'll try this today when I get home. Also, I will be picking up a Multitester today to check my power connections. All you guys have been great! Want to thank everyone for there help and input.

Old 01-09-2009 | 10:36 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08HD
Good idea, I'll try this today when I get home. Also, I will be picking up a Multitester today to check my power connections. All you guys have been great! Want to thank everyone for there help and input.

Which package kit did you get Silver ? and can you post some pictures of the speakers when you are done. Please and thank you.

Having a meter is key when attempting any type of electrical work. a test light is very handy also and a cheap investment in keeping your sanity.

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2009 | 10:43 AM
n.o.yat
Cruiser

sounds like you need to slow down and take your time. i have a set up like yours and was pretty simple. start with your hot wire going to the battery, make sure it is tight. i ran my ground short, i ran it to the crash bar where it bolts to the frame. then i ran my other wire to the cig. lighter. all you need is a cheap test light. any auto parts will have one. make sure you have current to your cig. lighter. i have the system with the seperate tweeters and crossovers. a little more involved to install but worth it.

Old 01-09-2009 | 11:16 AM
travelingman
Advanced
Default Arc Mini Amp Install

I have a 09 Ultra so removing the gas tank and swinging it out of the way is easy.

I have installed the Arc Mini 125 with four Arc 5026 Speakers. Speakers are in parallel so the AMP is set to High (2 OHM mod)

I purchased 10 feet of black 10 guage wire and 10 feet of red for power and ground. To get the cleanst sound and allow the battery to act as a filter it better for power and ground to go back to the battery.

System can be heard 100 feet behind the bike and 100 in front and is clear with no distrotion at full volume.

Truly unbeleivable.

Quick Reply: ARC Mini amp and speaker help!!!!!!!!! trying to install NOW!