Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARC Mini amp and speaker help!!!!!!!!! trying to install NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009 | 12:43 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08HD
Here is a few pics of what I have done. I could use some help here if anyone can figure out my problem...

This is what I have done:

The red power card is going to the positive on the battery and I have a 40amp fuse in the inline fuse box.
The purple ground wire is fastened to the right saddlebag rail and frame.
The blue wire is connected to the cig lighter red cord. I tried moving it to the orange head light connector and no change.
The new speaker wires are ran to the amp and the original wires are connected with the individual connections that came with the amp.
button is depressed
when I insert fuse I do get that little spark.
I removed and reinstalled the red power cord and blue cord that is inserted in the amp
I re-read this post.

Move the ground cable terminal to under the bag rail and make sure it is touching bare metal. Make sure the black wire on the speaker level plug coming from the amp is grounded too (touching bare metal on the frame).

According to this post, it sounds like a ground issue.

Old 01-09-2009 | 12:44 AM
08HD
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by johnkn
Did you check to see if you have +12V coming into the AMP from the battery? Did you pop the fuse?

So, I agree in keeping the ground run as short as possible, but if you want to keep it where it is, I would loosen the ground bolt, pry the chrome bar up, and scrape some powercoating off the frame beneath the chrome bar.
Yes I have checked the power cord. When I pulled the fuse and then reinstalled it I got a little spark so it is hot. I have a 40amp fuse in there. Regarding the ground, and scraping the powder coat down to the metal, is this what I need to do to get power?

Old 01-09-2009 | 12:52 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08HD
Yes I have checked the power cord. When I pulled the fuse and then reinstalled it I got a little spark so it is hot. I have a 40amp fuse in there. Regarding the ground, and scraping the powder coat down to the metal, is this what I need to do to get power?
If you are getting a spark...you have power. That's why I said in my above post it's gotta be a ground issue.

Old 01-09-2009 | 01:22 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

Hi, Is your green light on on the amp? It's right beside your large ground. 40 amp breaker is way to large,should be 25.

Old 01-09-2009 | 01:57 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

One more thing to check is that wires from the amp to speaker wires coming from radio are matched correctly. Soon you will have sound.

Old 01-09-2009 | 06:09 AM
08HD
|
Road Captain

I am not touching metal. Do need to scape down the powder coat?

Old 01-09-2009 | 06:12 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

just hook it(black wire) the the battery - (neg) terminal to see if it is a ground issue.. then if it is shorten the wire and end it in fairing on the frame mount

Old 01-09-2009 | 06:15 AM
ponomo
Advanced

Originally Posted by timvan
just hook it(black wire) the the battery - (neg) terminal to see if it is a ground issue.. then if it is shorten the wire and end it in fairing on the frame mount
x2 .....

Old 01-09-2009 | 06:28 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Honestly you could leave it on the Battery - terminal. I dont do things this way, but it wont hurt anything being its a rather short run and a small amp im sure it wont starve for power.

Old 01-09-2009 | 06:40 AM
08HD
|
Road Captain

Just gave that a try. Doesn't work either. Amp light has never came on no matter what I have tried. Even found an area to get metal contact from the frame and nothing. This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Day 2 and I can't ride! Don't' want to put everything together with the job undone.

Last edited by 08HD; 01-09-2009 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: ARC Mini amp and speaker help!!!!!!!!! trying to install NOW!