Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker pods w/detachable tourpak

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speaker pods w/detachable tourpak

My situation has a lot of moving parts so bear with me while I get to my question...

I have an extra set of Hogtunes speakers just sitting around that I would like to use as rear speakers on my 06 Road Glide with the HK stereo. I also have a detachable tourpak that is off the bike about as much as it's on.

The question is, how would I go about wiring/mounting the 2 rear speakers? It seems like it should be as simple as buying a couple of empty rear speaker pods, attach them to the tourpak with the speakers mounted, then putting an inline plug in the speaker wires so that I can disconnect them when I take off the tourpak. But knowing HD, there's probably something I'm unaware of that makes it more complicated than that.

Can I do it the simple way or do I have to buy an OFFICIAL MOFOCO REAR SPEAKER WIRING HARNESS WITH BAR AND SHIELD EMBOSSED CONNECTORS IN CHROME OR BLACK that's just $159.95 not including taxes, freight and HOG discount?

Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

Email Pez at Hogtunes and tell him what you need and he can probably hook you up.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Probably..but I'm more the DIY sort. Just buying something off the shelf is no fun!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You could go to an '06 Touring parts book and look at the radio wiring diagram. I don't recall if the rear speakers use the Base audio connector that is already on your bike and plugged into the back of the HK radio or it it uses the Ultra connector that plugs into the back of the HK radio for rear passenger controls (volume, PTT, etc.). If the former, simply add the wires you need with the appropriate connectors. If the latter, buy that Ultra Connector plug and the connectors that go in it at the wire ends. You would need four connectors (two for left and right speakers). Then consult a wiring diagram to identify the correct sockets to use in the plug for the +/- for the left and right speakers. Then have the dealer flash your ECM to turn on the rear speakers. You are basically recreating the Ultra radio connector harness, but using only those circuits necesssary to power the rear speakers and not the rear passenger controls, PTT, etc.

IIRC, Hog Tunes uses a different speaker for the rear speaker pods than the front HT speakers.

Good luck with your project.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Then have the dealer flash your ECM to turn on the rear speakers.
I KNEW they would find a way to complicate it!

Thanks for the info, though--that's what I was looking for.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Or you can do it the easy way... CALL PEZ.

The HD way is WAY too much BS.

CALL PEZ