Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Utah trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
lmb1485
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utah trip

I'm planning a solo ride from minnesota to salt lake city in MAY .From there to the southern part of the state going through many or all of the national parks and on to the north ridge of the grand canyon....If any of you ,my fellow bikers, have any info on rides to utah...around utah and trails home.....I'd enjoy reading any info you have....also my first time riding the rockies any info on that and lastly the riding conditions I might encounter....thanks

Last edited by lmb1485; 01-07-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 PM
badblue
Cruiser

what time of year? That will make all the difference. I would highly recommend going through Canyonlands National Park and through Monument Valley to the Grand Canyon.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

It can be very cold unless you're going in summer. Bring every type of clothing you have.
Plan to see as many of the national parks as possible. Highway 12 is the greatest stretch of road you'll ever ride. Monument Valley is a must see. Know where your gas stops are as it can be a long distance between towns.
Lastly, much of the ride is outside the US. Navaho Nation has its own laws and its own cops and they like to give tickets.
Make sure you go AROUND Escalante Staircase Nat'l Monument and not through it. Your GPS could lead you astray and it's not a good route if you like paved roads.
Have fun. You'll never forget it.

Last edited by jberg; 01-07-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long and when are you going to be on the road. Have you been thru the Sturgis area? Some of our scenic highways somtimes don't get open til Memorial Day, then in mid July thru Aug-Sept can be pretty warm in Southern UT parks. The So Rim of the Grand Canyon offers a lot better view. The hardest part of riding the Rockies is watching the road and weather conditions. I'd be glad to give you more suggestions and map out some routes.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 PM
lmb1485
Tourer

Originally Posted by gmc
How long and when are you going to be on the road. Have you been thru the Sturgis area? Some of our scenic highways somtimes don't get open til Memorial Day, then in mid July thru Aug-Sept can be pretty warm in Southern UT parks. The So Rim of the Grand Canyon offers a lot better view. The hardest part of riding the Rockies is watching the road and weather conditions. I'd be glad to give you more suggestions and map out some routes.
GMC I'd truly appreciate that thank you so much

Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Monument Valley and Zion Natl. Park.You're just a stones throw away from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon,and Mesa Verde Natl. Park(the four corners area).I live in Western Wyoming and can almost guarantee you that the Northern Rockies will be a little chilly in May so dress accordingly. It gets down below freezing at night in Yellowstone in July You may even hit snow. I did last June,on a ride through the Black Hills and across Montana although the snow was gone in a couple of days and back up to 75 deg. Another real nice ride weather and time permitting is from Durango to Telluride Co.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Candy Red
Tourer

When you get into SLC you MUST visit a club called The Barbary Coast.

I spent a week in SLC and hung there. A real nice joint and folks

Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Zion and Bryce are must see parks IMO.Grand Canyon less so.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

We went to Zion National Park in 02 and stayed here.
http://www.zionponderosa.com/index.htm

This places is all inclusive, the sevice was the best I have seen. They will even pack you a lunch in AM if you will be gone all day. Food was awesome. Thay even baked the wife a suprise birthday cake. All activities are included in price.

This makes me want to go back....

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 AM
mikedetejas
Road Captain

A ride through Flaming Gorge is worth it.

Quick Reply: Utah trip