Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Utah trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Made the trip in April to Laughlin for the last 2 years. My advice is to bring ALL of your cold weather gear - you may need it even in May. You'll be at 6-8K feet and it can be a little cool. We experienced everything from 30-105 degrees along the way (April can be like that).
If you don't take the drive through Grand Staircase Escalante (Highway 12) you'll have missed one of Utah's greatest assets. As breathtaking as the Grand Canyon and you get to drive right through it. There's a section known as the Devil's Backbone you have to see to believe. For me Zion and Bryce Canyon (literally a dead end road) were snoozers (you can drive through Zion in 20 minutes tops with no stops), especially boring if they follow the Grand Staircase. Utah is a big state and it can be difficult to link everything together. Also, if you're going to four or more national parks you might as well get the full year park pass. It's $80 as I recall and reduces time spent at the gates.
We left Monument Valley for the next run to 4-Corners. Can't wait.
Have a good time and ride safe.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HD Daddio
I toured through parts of Southern Utah in August 07. Places to see: Cedar Breaks, Zion, Bryce, Red Rock Canyon. I've been to the Grand Canyon a dozen times and the North Rim is the best, there are lots of places where you are hanging right on the edge, great pictures. If you are overnighting near the North Rim, stay at Jacob Lake (intersection of 89A and AZ67). This is a great lodge with a good restaurant, service station, motel and also small cabins under the ponderosa pines. From there check out Marble Canyon, Lake Powell and venture into four corners.
Enjoy your trip...Great country side, just pay attention to your gas stops.
I was just going to say that. When you get near the date, PM me. I live in St George, and I can show you some neat stuff too.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
lmb1485
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
I was just going to say that. When you get near the date, PM me. I live in St George, and I can show you some neat stuff too.
that means alot thank you and i'll take ya up on that......

Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've got a month, definitely go through Montana, and don't miss Bear Tooth or Glacier. They're fabulous. However if you're definitely stuck on May, they may not be open yet. If you don't get all the info you need, PM me. I've got a brother very near SLC, and he's got a Harley and rides as well. His Road King has been all over that country. I'm sure he'd have a recommendations. Good Luck.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 375 Likes on 216 Posts

May is a good time to ride Utah. The last few years I've ridden around Utah and Arizona, on dual sport motorcycles, in April and May. Utah arguably offers the most beautiful and diverse riding and scenery in the US. On a road bike Hwy 12 is a must do ride. Torrey is a great stop-over. Highway 12 south of Torrey.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Mighty MO
Tourer

Ridewva, I think I remember that little stretch of road in your pic, if I remember correctly the drop off on both sides of that stretch will make even a seasoned mountain rider pucker. Utah is a great place to explore.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
lmb1485
Tourer

the more I read here the more exciteing this trip becomes .Just wondering if anyone has ever carried a reserve can of gas just in case......

Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 AM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Utah is an awesome state for unreal scenery. Definitely see Zion NP, Monument Valley, and Arches NP up by Moab. There are a zillion other things to do and see, but those would be at the top of most lists. Been all over that state and love it.
EGK

Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

LMB1485,
Check out this link - Go to day rides - A link to "Senic Byway Utah" and "Four Canyons in 3 days" - Some good pic's and local information. My wife and I are planning a trip to Utah as well - Hope this helps - Make sure you have lots of memory in your camera -
Ride safe and enjoy -
http://cyclerides.com/

Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Zion and Bryce are awesome but you need to get off your bike and do a couple of the hikes.If your just cruzin down the road you are missing the best part.

Quick Reply: Utah trip