Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Utah trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Utah has three of my favorite National Parks; Arches, Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon. You will get a much greater appreciation for these parks if you park the bike and do some day hikes.

If you do Arches, make sure that you ride highway 128 between I70 and Moab. In Capitol Reef, take the gravel roads into the interior of the park. As others have said, the Escalante (Highway 12) from Capitol Reef to Bryce Canyon is fantastic.

Highway 95 from Blanding to Hanksville is another scenic ride.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

I missed the part that your leaving in May. I would get electric gear as morning's will be cold. I was thinking you could come out thru the Black Hills, over the Big Horn Mt. over to Red Lodge, MT. over Bear Tooth Pass into Yellowstone dn to Jackson Hole and a couple diff rt to SLC but the winter snow level will determine a lot of which way you can come out, also how much time you have? As alot of folks have posted there are so many thing and great roads you will have to pick fr everyones favorites. Why are you coming to SLC, I'm not Mormon and that doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

AS we get closer to Spring you can get in touch and I'll gladly help. I'll send you a PM with my info.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
gregsworld
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arches is one of the most amazingly beautiful rides you will EVER complete. Make sure you wear comforatbel shoes and hike a little. The best views are off the road. Also, there is a state park up the road from Arches. It's called Dead Horse Point State Park. DO NOT MISS THIS SIDE TRIP. The view is incredible. Another big thumbs up along your ride would be Bryce Canyon. The ride into there looks like a Disney created theme ride. Just beautiful. If you follow the southern interstate on across, I would also recommend Zion. The road coming in from the East through all of the tunnels is the best part. Jealous about your trip. I did it in a cage a year ago. I will be back on two wheels soon. Have a great trip. Get ready for some windy roads though. We have a hell of a wind out West.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the previous posts pretty much cover it, man I hate winter. Have a great trip!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
1stultra
Cruiser

You can pick up the 89 south of Provo and you can't go wrong. It kind of runs right down the middle of most of Utah's National Parks. Arches National Park is truly amazing if you have time but it'll be a haul off your beaten path as it's in southeast UT. Bryce and Zion are my personal favorites. You could ride for a month in Utah and never get bored, incredible diversity.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
lmb1485
Tourer

Originally Posted by gmc
I missed the part that your leaving in May. I would get electric gear as morning's will be cold. I was thinking you could come out thru the Black Hills, over the Big Horn Mt. over to Red Lodge, MT. over Bear Tooth Pass into Yellowstone dn to Jackson Hole and a couple diff rt to SLC but the winter snow level will determine a lot of which way you can come out, also how much time you have? As alot of folks have posted there are so many thing and great roads you will have to pick fr everyones favorites. Why are you coming to SLC, I'm not Mormon and that doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

AS we get closer to Spring you can get in touch and I'll gladly help. I'll send you a PM with my info.
thank-you sir

Old 01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
lmb1485
Tourer

Originally Posted by gmc

gmc.....I just wanted to see the great salt lake and I thought as you,I to come in from the north.....I'm takeing a month off to ride also....once I get to utah I plan on sticking around for a couple of weeks maybe more

Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats me, Southern Colorado the 1st of July. See that snow back there. Note the rain gear and expect to use it in the afternoons. Also cold as hell in the mornings. Utah was about the same

Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM
RexBuck
Road Master

Zion and Arches are worth spending some time at for hiking. Also, take in Bryce, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde (southwestern Colorado) and Monument Valley. Everybody needs to see the Grand Canyon once and you should be there before most of the crowds arrive. Utah's elevation is pretty high so it will still be cool that time of year. You will miss some of the higher passes (Beartooth and possibly some higher Colorado roads come to mind). On your way there, stop at Mt Rushmore and Devil's Tower.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
SoCal Ultra
Advanced
Default Utah Aug 07

I toured through parts of Southern Utah in August 07. Places to see: Cedar Breaks, Zion, Bryce, Red Rock Canyon. I've been to the Grand Canyon a dozen times and the North Rim is the best, there are lots of places where you are hanging right on the edge, great pictures. If you are overnighting near the North Rim, stay at Jacob Lake (intersection of 89A and AZ67). This is a great lodge with a good restaurant, service station, motel and also small cabins under the ponderosa pines. From there check out Marble Canyon, Lake Powell and venture into four corners.
Enjoy your trip...Great country side, just pay attention to your gas stops.

Quick Reply: Utah trip