Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you batwing guys think of this????

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM
RRATED999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pez-

Is your warranty honored through Drag Specialties dealers selling via E-commerce? By the way, loving my tweets. Can't wait for the amped setup.

Jay

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine should be here tomorrow. Need to strip it for paint. Too lazy to read the entire thread...anyone disassembled one of these yet? Is it pretty straight foward?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

its so easy, a caveman could do it...lol

Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Received the Tweeter Pod this morning and in five minutes had the outer fairing removed and was under-way. This is a no-hassle install, the degree of difficulty about a 2 on a scale of 10, and it's only a matter of following the detailed instructions. One side note about changing the grills, each has four tabs that need to be inserted in slits and turned down. Two of the slits on each side are hidden by the crossover unit which is attached by two small Phillips screws. I couldn't remove these screws with any of my numerous screwdrivers and gave up instead of stripping the heads. I instead just used the two tabs on the inside to secure the grills, which seem to hold them securely enough.

The fit and finish is good and the chrome accent in the center adds a tasteful bit of bling to the area, although I didn't notice it before in any of the photos on this thread. It isn't too much bling, but now it seems my radio, which has no trim ring, needs something. HD makes a trim ring for the HK radio that IMO is too much chrome, and the slim rings for earlier radios don't fit--but I digress. The appearance of the pods is very tasteful and low-key, and their presence doesn't just jump out and grab attention, which IMO is good. It looks like it was made into the dash and not an add-on unit. Also, the large HD single windshield bag fits perfectly with the Pods. Good job so far, Pez. So how about a ride and a verdict on the sound improvement?

The sound is just one more step in the right direction that follows all the other improvements I've made. I now have the HT speakers, amp, and now the pods. The only non-Hogtunes improvement I've made is the addition of two DynaXorb pads behind the speakers, which for $25 made an amazing improvement to the overall sound quality. Or maybe it is in my head, but I at least think the pads made a big improvement when I wasn't really expecting that much.

Someone earlier described the sound with Pods as like a surround-sound system, which I thought was a little odd, but now I understand where he's coming from. The tweeters have a built-in cross-over for each speaker and most of the frequencies coming from them is treble, with midrange and bass mostly staying with the speakers in the stock location. Since treble is directional, having them directly in front of your face is a better place to mount tweeters, and the overall clarity is improved greatly. Midrange now sounds like it is coming from the stock location and bass is just, well, in there somewhere, as bass is non-directional. So you have a sense that the treble is coming from higher up with midrange further to the sides and down, and bass all over the front. It is a good sound and a meaningful improvement.

Last edited by iclick; 02-25-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

quiet iClick !!.... you are going to make me spend more money!!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 PM
mtnbikerx
Tourer

Thanks iclick, I just got the tweeter pods and the dealer is installing them on my (still undelivered) 09 SG. I'm sure I'll be happy with them.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

One afterthought: I have bass set to 1/2 and treble to about 3/4. Before the Pods I had it 1/2 bass, full treble.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bazam9s
Mine should be here tomorrow. Need to strip it for paint. Too lazy to read the entire thread...anyone disassembled one of these yet? Is it pretty straight foward?
Got my pod yesterday..Thx PEZ and Lori. Nice work, great craftmanship. Just laid it on top and looks real nice. iclick is right. It doesn't stick out or look out of place, perfect fit. Very happy with the initial look. Will strip it and send to paint soon....thx Pez

Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
RRATED999
Intermediate

My guys at Ride Shack just got them in stock and ready to ship.

http://www.rideshack.com/HOGTUNES_TW.../4405-0172.htm

Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Thems purdy!!!!!

Quick Reply: What do you batwing guys think of this????