Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of Sirius and wondering

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Thinking of Sirius and wondering

Would like to add a Sirius radio to the 09 Ultra and don't know too much about them (truck has it but came from the factory that way). Went through some older posts but they really didn't answer my questions.

First, where does one mount the antenna and get good reception?

Second, Is there usually an out put on these radios and does it then just plug into the imput on the stock radio in my bike?

And third, anyone purchase one recently and are you happy with the make and what did you get. Good place or mounts for these? Already got a GPS on left bar side. Thanks

Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it just plugs into the input of your factory radio.
I've had XM for about 12 years now.
I'll never be without it.

My antenna is mounted where my right mirror is.
Look closely at the right mirror in the provided pic.
See the little black thing?
That's my antenna.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of Sirius and wondering-hpim0348.jpg  
Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i currently have a Sirius Sportster IV. the only problem i have had with it is that the cradle that holds the radio, even using the lock button on the back, in a short time allowed the radio to vibrate and loose contact between the radio and cradle. Sirius replaced the cradle but i soon had the same problem again. looking at all the Sirius receivers, appears they all run the same design cradle. i finally wrapped a small black wire tie around the radio/cradle forcing them tother. after many thousands of miles I have had no problems. the antenna works great placed on top of the bike's radio under the fairing. the cradle has a spot to connect the cradle to the aux input on the radio, but you have to have the bike's radio selected to the aux to hear the Sirius.

i'm upgrading my GPS to a Zumo 550 which has XM capability. I also have a factory installed Sirius in my Chrysler which I have the main contract on, with the additional reciver fee for the radio on the bike. thought since Sirius and XM had merged that i could drop the sub-account ($6 or so a month) on the additional receiver on the bike and change it to a $6 a month XM. No go. if I want XM, I have to open up a whole new account at a much increased cost than the $6 a month I'm paying for the Sirius reception currently on my bike. kinda of a rip-off, so will probably keep my sirius radio on the bike and not use the XM capability of the Zumo.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Mohntonite
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I may not be sure of the connection to the HD radio. But sirius make s a receiver like the Xm module that mounts inside the fairing and might be able to connect to the HD radio. At this point you can get a horizontal antenna which is also hidden under the fairing and you could lose the whips or other antenna you now have. Then you would just access like you would with the XM module thru the stereo. Call sirius and see if it is adaptable to your head unit. OR call Biketronics to see if they can hook you up with a module for the HD radio. That is the exact route Im going but with an aftermarket radio as the bike did not come with one. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Mohntonite; 01-06-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Sirius on my Road King. I attach the radio to the windshield with suction cups(never fallen off yet) just above my bar bag, attach the antenna to a small metal bracket suction cupped tot he top of the windshield, never fallen off, and tune in my Zen MP3 player to receive the output from the radio. Only trouble I have is the danged ear-plugs keep falling out. I'm thinking of getting custom-fit buds.