Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone altered their own seat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Keener
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone altered their own seat?

You guys ever consider modifying your own stock seat? I see people send theirs off to fine businesses and forum sponsors with great results. Seems like they all do a GREAT job.

Just wondering if anyone has committed to pulling off the Vinyl, oh yeah, leather seat cover and making adjustments themselves.

If I trim off ¾ inch from the back for more leg room, shave out a bit for my tailbone, cut foam out, and replace with memory foam. I would bet, after stretching the seat cover back into place, and stapling to seat pan, we may just get what we want.

Am I crazy? When I am done I picture a pile to scrap foam, and a tattered seat that looks like something Helen Keller assembled.

What are your thoughts…

Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of help on-line for how to do this chore.

I removed the cover from my wifes Deluxe. I narrowed the front portion of the seat Pan with a bandsaw, cleaned up the edge, and recovered it with the old foan and the cover. Worked Great. Narrowing it about 1 1/2 inches took her off her toes and down to flat foot.

If you are cutting the foam...use an electric bread knife. Hand knifes won't do the job cleanly. Sand the area afterwards to smooth. If you have lumps or high spots in the foam, it WILL show thru the cover.
If you add memory foam, make sure you strech it completly so you don't have folds or lumps. Same with the cover. Work slowly, and strech it as far as you can to keep things tight. I worked the cover from front to rear..moving evenly on each side.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
frittsk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to do my Street Glide seat myself and after I messed it up I sent it to Mean City to get it cleaned up.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about it but chickened out because I decided I wanted real leather... I think I might try it with the vinyl... what do you have to lose? You can usually pick up a stock seat on ebay pretty reasonably...

Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I did mine and it turned out just fine. I trimmed out about 3 inch's of foam from the seat pocket and layed in a 3/4 inch gel pad. This allowed me to sit lower and helped with the pressure points as well. Also on the 06 Ultras the plastic seat pan has two bumps that were annoying on the front of the seat by the tank. These little bumps just really irritated me after a couple of hours. So I grinded these flat and reinforced this area with JB weld which eliminated the irritation of these as they were very uncomfortable. I used a air cut off wheel that shaped the seat with ease. Closed it all up and am very glad that I took the chance and made the mods.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Jazz56
Cruiser

I cut about 2" out of mine and about 1" off the sides. Didn't touch the back of it. Put the cover back on look's good as new. I don't weigh that much so I don't need a thick seat, but I wanted to be lower. I never did it before but it was easy. Give it a try, take your time, go slow and it come out great

Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

After searching for that perfect seat I marked my seat with masking tape and took it to an upholstry shop. They trimmed it to my tape lines, shaved some of the foam and gave it a nose-job. I lost a little cush. but overall it looks great. Cost me $200

Old 01-06-2009, 10:34 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I did the stocker from my 05 classic. BUT, I figured going in that I could screw it up and turn it to junk. But it was so lousy to start with, and there were so many of them on ebay for next to nothing, that I decided WTF and went for it. Figured I could not make it much worse than it was to start.

Two tips:

1. do not take the cover completely off if you can avoid it. Getting it back on strait is harder than you think.

2. I takes a pretty stout staple gun to drive staples all the way into the plastic base pan. Your average hand held or electric staple gun probably wont cut the mustard. You need something air driven and some small (quarter inch wide) staples.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace

2. I takes a pretty stout staple gun to drive staples all the way into the plastic base pan. Your average hand held or electric staple gun probably wont cut the mustard. You need something air driven and some small (quarter inch wide) staples.
Not really true...I used a hand held Staple gun, NON POWERED and it worked fine. Staples are all the way in, none sticking out.

I used a PowerShot staple gun from Black and Decker. Cost was about 25.00

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone altered their own seat?-powershot.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Flower Pot
Novice

I took mine down with a 4'' hand grinder. Works great. Practice on the bottom and then use magic marker on the inner thigh part so you don't mess up . The grinder lets you shape it with ez.

Quick Reply: Has anyone altered their own seat?