Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h-d heated grips

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM
bullseye
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had heated grips in the past but found heated gloves to be much more effective and they cost less. The only problem is having to plug them in but if you wire it right that's not an issue. They tell you to bring the plug out under the side of the seat. I brought mine out the front so its right there between my legs and tucks under the nose of the seat when not is use.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
HarleyHog59
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby256
You can turn them off. I had the HD grips installed on my new 09 Ultra, they work good in 40 degrees or above with a pair of gloves but I had them turned all the way up with a pair of gloves and had very cold hands! For the most part I am riding in 40 or above so they do the trick for me.
I have the same problem, I have the HD grips and in 40 to 50 degree weather they work great and will almost burn your hands through gloves, below 40 the heat seems to come and go. They should make heated grip gloves, insulated to the max on top and thin on the bottom to let the heat come through. Insulated grips do what they are supposed to, INSULATE. Does anybody's thumb get colder than the rest of your hand? I have the waterproof insulated HD gloves and they are ok but when your riding in 20 to 30 degree weather with heated grips the top of your hands get cold and when the HD grips don't seem up to the task the bottom of your hands get cold to. Took them back to the dealer but they seemed to be working at the time so they did nothing and since they don't ride your bike all the time and they don't take your word for anything your stuck with it.

You pay so much for your bike and then when you have a problem it's like well I've never heard of that.

Your bike pulls to the left when you let go of the handlebars well your not supposed to let go of the handlebars.

And I'm sure all of you have your stories of dealings with The Motor Company.

Would I buy another Harley? It's a Harley, it is a good bike, it has major history, it sounds like no other bike.

Of course I would !!!! But I wish when you go to get something checked out you feel like you need a lawyer or maybe Stone Cold standing with you to get anything done without making you feel like your trying to steal something from them.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by HarleyHog59

Your bike pulls to the left when you let go of the handlebars well your not supposed to let go of the handlebars.
I think(but not sure) that cable stress is what is steering your bike when you let go of the bars. The clutch cable wants to be straight, the brake lines want to be straight. But they're bent(tension/stress).

Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I got the heated gloves for Christmas. I've ridden twice in 33 degree weather and my hands stayed toasty warm. After 2 hours my feet got cold. Do they make heated highway pegs?

Old 02-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Heated grips are great for fall and spring rides. If you want to use them in winter you'll also need a set of handlebar mitts to keep the cold wind out.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 AM
syclone999
Stage I
Unhappy

It attached by my mistake and has broken to inside.
Am I able to fix this part?

Old 10-28-2014, 11:23 AM
kornflake
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dos anyone know who makes the heated grips for harley
i have harley Chrome and Rubber Heated Hand Grips
and they failed after 7 month on a road glide 2011 and replacement cost are nearly $500.

i wander if there has been any updates on a revision to fix the problems

Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Harley Heated grips for 5 years. They work fine down to the high 30's, then work okay to about freezing. I also have National Cycle hand guards which do a great job keeping the wind and rain off my gloves, making the grips even more comfortable. If mine never went past the 2 settling, I would be fine. Plenty of heat at level 2, 3 is almost too hot. I usually switch to heated gloves at about 38F. Especially when it is colder in the morning, then use my riding gloves and heated grips going home. I keep my heated gloves and heated jacket liner in the saddlebags all winter. But here in the Pacific Northwet, it is 42F and wet/raw so the heated grips get most of the service. Since I have both heated grips and NC hand guards, I wear lighter leather gloves so it is not unusual to use them year round, especially in the mountains.

As far as the install. Like many Harley directions, they cover the basics but not the best or easiest way to get the job done. I recommend reading through the directions several times....then find the youtube on Harley heated grip install that I watched. After watching this video, install was a piece of pie. I had Harley install mine when the bike was new, but we installed them on my buddies bike 2 years ago ourselves. Had I seen this youtube, I would have installed my own when the bike was new. But I had new pull back bars and the grips installed before I rode it home for the first time as part of my sales package.

One point...if you are thinking about switching handlebars, do the grips and handlebars at the same time. My buddy wanted more pull back, but felt he could only afford the heated grips. He is still riding with the stock bars.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kornflake
dos anyone know who makes the heated grips for harley
i have harley Chrome and Rubber Heated Hand Grips
and they failed after 7 month on a road glide 2011 and replacement cost are nearly $500.

i wander if there has been any updates on a revision to fix the problems
No warranty after only 7 months's use?

I heard they were improved a few years ago but I had two pairs break on me. Switched to heat demons and am very happy with their look and performance.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have had HD heated grips on my last 3 Ultras. Believe e, in ND you get to use them. The grips work well and make a huge difference. If you get them, you will wonder how you did without them.

Quick Reply: h-d heated grips