Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h-d heated grips

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:36 PM
mdarmi
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated grips

I just traded my '08 Ultra in on an '09 Ultra, and had the dealer install HD heated grips -- they rock, even in cold, snowy Detroit. In fact, on the high setting, if you don't wear gloves you can burn your hands!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle08
how good do harleys heated grips work, I am thinking of getting some and was wondering if there any good, I have a 08 ultra and the throttle cable is on the inside of the handle bars so im limited on what to use.
I've got the grips. Very clean installation and they really heat up. No problems so far.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had mine (HD) isntalled by the dealer two years a go and they are still working great. I love those freaking grips!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
eagle08
6th Gear

sounds to me thats the only way to go, theres nothing worse than cold hands, I know ,I live in wisconsin, THE HOME OF H-D

Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
jensen
Intermediate

can you turn them completly off or are they always warm?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Gumby256
Cruiser

You can turn them off. I had the HD grips installed on my new 09 Ultra, they work good in 40 degrees or above with a pair of gloves but I had them turned all the way up with a pair of gloves and had very cold hands! For the most part I am riding in 40 or above so they do the trick for me.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I've never had much of a problem with my hands getting cold on the palm side. It's always the backs of my hands that get cold. How would heated grips warm the backs of your hands?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 AM
EriCal
Cruiser

I have heated grips on my 95 Road King, (Hot Grips), my Wife has HD heated grips on her 97 RK and had Hot Grips on her 02 RK. I have just ordered HD heated grips for my 09 RK.

I did all the installations. I installed ALL wires inside the bars on my Wife's 07 (HD Chubby Bars) and plan the same for the 09. No real difficulty there, just a slight modification was necessary on the left grip.

I love heated grips.They are most valuable when it is marginally cold - not cold enough to get me to stop and change gloves - but when it is just cold enough to be uncomfortable.

Eric

Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
bjryman
Tourer
Default Harley Grips Problems

When I purchased my UG last January, the sales guy and parts guy both stated they were having many problems with the heated HD grips. My sales guy himself had three sets replaced under warranty on his 08 UG.

They both suggested that I get the heated gloves instead. I bought the whole set of heated gear and am quite happy. Stay warm easily down to the low 20's at 60 or 70 mph. An with the battery harness, I can transfer among our rides and stay warm.

My dealerships parts guy installed Heat Demons on his ride and was quite happy after about two years...and suggested that alternative as well.

I also have the dial thermostat for the heated gear so can adjust as I need to

Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM
caymen8
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the HD grips and have had no problems. I had them put on by the dealer before the bike was delivered in March 08. Here in Colorado they are even handy in the summer when I get up high in the mountains and it turns chilly. Keeps me from having to put on my heavy gloves.

Quick Reply: h-d heated grips