Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Avmech97
I use a tinted Clearview 16" w/recurve & vent and have been very pleased with it although I am considering a 12" or 14" for riding in warm weather and using the 16" for winter riding since I ride year round.I also use a set of soft lowers partly because of the lower price and they are quickly removed or installed. Enjoy the ride!
I guess I'm gonna' find out because I ordered one but what is your opinion of the VENT? Think it does anything for you? I've heard mixed opinions and heard it does little for the Roadie rider because it's tooo far away from the rider. Whats your thoughts?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 490 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by roadglide2009
hi there!
In spring I will ride my new roadglide '09 CVO
so can anybody tell me the best windshield for me and my harley?
stock or may be "klock werks flare" windshield- and most important....... what height??
claudio
Claudio... the "BEST?" is a question with a thousand correct answers. Go to http://clearviewshields.com and do the measuring as directed... that will help YOU decide which height IMO the stock SE screen, is a POS... and should be replaced if you'll ride faster than 30KPH

I found that with the stock RG windshield, and the Cee Bailey replacement... My helmet was buffeted so badly I saw double. I'm 5ft 8 in with a 28 inch inseam.... short legs, long torso. I had the comfort stitch seat, and now use the REACH seat... I have the Clearview GT med, with med tint, and vent... this combination of rider, seat, and shield work best for me... although, I rather fancy the new Cee Bailey 15" Euro shield... looks similar to KW, but taller, and wider

Originally Posted by RODEO
I guess I'm gonna' find out because I ordered one but what is your opinion of the VENT? Think it does anything for you? I've heard mixed opinions and heard it does little for the Roadie rider because it's tooo far away from the rider. Whats your thoughts?
I got the vent unit last Sept, it was still warm, and I played around with it. As far as I could see.... the vent is useless... actually less, than useless, as rain hits the vent, and drips onto the inside of the screen... between the vent, and the fairing, it's a major pain to clean it afterwards.

I got the vent, simply because it was an "IN stock, blem" and between the time savings, and the money savings... well worth it... had I ordered the screen, and been willing to wait, I'd never have oredered the vent

Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skootchnc
I got the vent unit last Sept, it was still warm, and I played around with it. As far as I could see.... the vent is useless... actually less, than useless, as rain hits the vent, and drips onto the inside of the screen... between the vent, and the fairing, it's a major pain to clean it afterwards.

I got the vent, simply because it was an "IN stock, blem" and between the time savings, and the money savings... well worth it... had I ordered the screen, and been willing to wait, I'd never have oredered the vent
Thanks for your opinion. I have heard and read mixed reviews of the vent but after reading yours here, I decided to email Clearview and cancel the vent from my order. John at Clearview said "no problem" and expects to ship my windshield later this month. I think the vent is good in principle but fails on the Road Glide because it is simply too far away from the rider to do any good. Now with rain leaking past it, that made me change my order. Besides that, the vent is "pricey" too. Lastly, it looks too much like a Gold Wing with the vent...

Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Dunwurkin
4th Gear
Default Dunwurkin

My silver/titanium SERG is waiting at the stealership for April 1st pickup. On my 06 I had a Clearview GT Small which was great. For the CVO I wanted something more stylish but gave more protection than the deflector. Researched like crazy and found Cee Bailey does NOT offer one that fits the CVO. Reports on the 12" KW was that it created distortion and buffeted at higher speeds but looked great. I wanted a better comprimise of style and function so I talked to John at Clearview. He worked with me and I settled on a Dark Tint Sport with a recurve that is 2 inches lower than the GT Small. It will be made of the lighter material so it will also work without any additional rubber gasket if I choose to put on the chrome trim piece. I still have the GT Small for those cross country rides.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:24 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got my plus 1" over stock Clearview installed and wanted to post my opinion. I have had the luxery of owning some other sport touring bikes that I also added Clearview windshields. As stated in other post, the Clearview is thicker than the stock and a very nice quality shield. The following is from my observation:

I am 5'-11" tall. I have an Ultra factory seat on the bike which I think is a little taller and puts you a little closer to the tank. I also have the factory lowers on the bike. The first thing I noticed was at 50 to 60 mph, there was almost no wind buffeting at all. However, at 60 to 80 mph, there was some, but not nearly what I was getting with the stock shield. The biggest difference at interstate speeds was that I could get by with out wearing ear plugs. I can hear my music and intercom without turning them up to a deafening level. (I have added intercom/cb to this RG). If rating overall I would give it an 8. The taller windscreen that Clearview offers would more than likely do away with the wind noise and buffeting all together, but I personally never liked the looks of a taller windscreen. My final opinion, I think it was worth the money and effort. I have spoiled myself over the years with some quiet, wind free, full fairing sport touring bikes, and beleive this is as good as it is going to get with my RG. It is finally at an exceptable level for long distance touring. No doubt that the lowers and the windscreen has made a huge differnence. I know that there are a lot of opinions on this subject through out this forum. There are many varibles that make a differnece in what you end up with, like seat height, screen height, inseam, and your posture of riding. I have had to do this tweeking on every bike I have set up for touring, so take all of this in mind. Hope this is useful. Good luck and ride safe. The picture was taken on the MS river in Natchez with the new Clearview.

Attached Thumbnails road glide windshield-p1300018-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 PM
ronn39
Road Master

I'm surprised no one has mentioned HD's Fork Air Baffle. While I still have my RK, I was initially bothered by the amount of wind in the face. Turned out a lot of it was coming from between the forks and up over the fuel tank, right into my face. I figured I'd give it a try and be darn if it didn't work. All the touring models are drilled and threaded to accept it, and it seems like it ought to work on the RGs as well. It's one of the less expensive HD accessories.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
Thanks for your opinion. I have heard and read mixed reviews of the vent but after reading yours here, I decided to email Clearview and cancel the vent from my order. John at Clearview said "no problem" and expects to ship my windshield later this month. I think the vent is good in principle but fails on the Road Glide because it is simply too far away from the rider to do any good. Now with rain leaking past it, that made me change my order. Besides that, the vent is "pricey" too. Lastly, it looks too much like a Gold Wing with the vent...
I have the +2 Clearview with the vent. I like having it if the windshield becomes fogged up, when the vent is closed it keeps the windshield clear with the airflow

Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Road Glides come with a fork air baffle already installed, standard.
Gary D.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by g money
Road Glides come with a fork air baffle already installed, standard.
Gary D.
Not all years.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I need help with a windshield also. Im 5'7" and have an 08 RG, factory seat, factory shield. The shield works fine for me, but my wife is catching alot of wind, to the point she uses ear plugs. I didnt have this problem with my RK, mainly because I feel the angle of the shield on that bike was more upright, pushing the wind of the top of both of us. Im not wanting to add any taller of a shield, because I want to be able to look over it. Ive tried the KW 8" and 12" without any likeable results. Should I try a Clearview Recurve, or the CEE Baileys Euro?

Quick Reply: road glide windshield