Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEDs? and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i appreciate the info Beercan, i'll look at the BALIGHTS web site. I don't think i'm quite ambitious enough to try to wire up my own, i dont' mind tinkering and wrenching, but for this i'd rather just plug them in

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Custom Dynamics "Dynamic Clusters" which work as running/brake/turn for the rear, but then i read the disclaimer "Dynamic Clusters are NOT Dot approved, for off road or show use only", and that sort of turned me off to them. All i need is to get rear ended and the other guys lawyer saying it wasn't his fault because i didn't have DOT approved taillights

Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith at Ride Time Technology has bright LED's but I've seen nothing brighter than Radiantz. Even in direct sunlight, my Radiantz LED's will cross your eyes. Nobody wants to ride behind me anymore, which is fine with me, I don't have to lead anymore.

Edit: Radiantz also has lifetime warranty.

Last edited by TheShrink; 01-06-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Warranty
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TheShrink
Keith at Ride Time Technology has bright LED's but I've seen nothing brighter than Radiantz. Even in direct sunlight, my Radiantz LED's will cross your eyes. Nobody wants to ride behind me anymore, which is fine with me, I don't have to lead anymore.

Edit: Radiantz also has lifetime warranty.
That sells me on Radiantz. I had Kury's on my RKC (front and back) and loved them, never had an issue with them, so I bought them for my SG. Had nothing but trouble with those, and it began 2 weeks after the 1 yeaer warranty was up. I replaced the control module per Kury's recommendations, but I still had trouble with the turn signals not working, and I ended up re-installing the factory turn signals in back before I traded the bike in.

I won't go with Kury again because of those issues and their horrendous customer service.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
SlimsSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlleyKatt
I changed over to the Kuryakyn Panacea Smoked LED's. The taillight flashes when you engage the brakes and has directional arrows in it also. I added the RideTimeTechnologies led's to my TP. I hooked them up for Tail/Stop/Turn. You can definately see them day or night. Coming from the trucking industry, it didn't take long to figure out that LED's are less hastle as they last longer and are brighter. LED's tend to cut through fog and be seen vs. incadescent. Plus, I think they just look cool, but what do I know. Just my .02
+1 on the Kuryakyn Panacea smoked LED's. Great function and style.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:25 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

http://www.customdynamics.com/signal..._modulator.htm

Brake Light Signal Module
Note: This module causes the light out indicator to stay illuminated on most BMW motorcycles, and the cruise control not to engage on 2002 and later Harley Davidsons

i dont want to give up cruise control !

i have a 2008 SG.. would the Backoff XP Module be correct one i need. Anyone have it ?
Will the cruise work with this module ?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ***** G.
The stop/run/turn is just a plug in relay under the seat, The tri-bar is pretty easy too.
Bags off, remove fascia, snip zipties,remove old tri-bar, install new tri-bar, run wire harness,
ziptie harness, plug in, mount fascia, mount bags and your done.
What is the tri-bar?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
What is the tri-bar?
Tri-bar is that 3 light strip at the bottom of the Street Glide fascia.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mostly we install LED's because we've already installed all the chrome parts we can and still have a few bucks to spend.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lucky13, that is true, although in my case its because i've already installed all the chrome parts, and i don't feel like spending all the money on the motor work, so the LEDs will have to do for now