Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...what's so good about a touring model anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So...what's so good about a touring model anyway?

We are in the middle of trying to find the best HD dealership to purchase our new Ultra Classic from. We are trading my 08 Sportster Low in on a new Ultra and getting MSRP for my Sportster and we would get the same amount for it at any participating dealer. Only thing is though, we're trying to decide which place will sell us one at the best price. It seems that lots of places don't give the usual buyer perks when using the Sportster incentive. For instance, some won't give us the $1000.00 of parts, clothes that come with a usual purchase and some will. Right now we're still checking them all out to find out which will give us a good deal. I tell you one thing though, HD dealerships DO NOT act like they are hurting for business. It's like a "take it or leave it....the next guy will buy it if you don't" attitude that STILL prevails. Oh well.

The wait is killing me. I'm not very patient. So in the meanwhile, though we have already made up our minds on purchasing an Ultra, I'd love for you to ease my pain of waiting and tell me what you love about your touring bike (no matter which one). How much better is it on trips than what you had before....and just what's so good about it?

Tell me anything......anything will help! Thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
gvera
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ronda,

The wait will be well worth it! However, I've owned three Harley's and not one of them was bought through a dealer. Like you I don't like the prevailing attitude from the dealers. Which is quite surprising considering the current state of the economy. Also trading in a bike like a car always seems like I get the short end of the stick while the dealer makes out good on the trade in and the purchase.

Have you thought about selling it privately? I know it will take time and it is a bit consuming but, you will make more $$$ on your existing bike. Also, how about buying privately and helping someone out who needs to get out of a relatively new bike because they got in over their heads or something else. You can probably get a good deal even with a transferable warranty in these days.

Back to my original point, if your patient and can wait good things will come and it will be worth the wait!

Best Regards,

Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Comfort....Once you get one you'll never go back.
Good luck and Ride Safe!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gvera
Hi Ronda,

The wait will be well worth it! However, I've owned three Harley's and not one of them was bought through a dealer. Like you I don't like the prevailing attitude from the dealers. Which is quite surprising considering the current state of the economy. Also trading in a bike like a car always seems like I get the short end of the stick while the dealer makes out good on the trade in and the purchase.

Have you thought about selling it privately? I know it will take time and it is a bit consuming but, you will make more $$$ on your existing bike. Also, how about buying privately and helping someone out who needs to get out of a relatively new bike because they got in over their heads or something else. You can probably get a good deal even with a transferable warranty in these days.

Back to my original point, if your patient and can wait good things will come and it will be worth the wait!

Best Regards,
Yes, we always sell our stuff privately before we buy new because dealers will screw you royally. However, with this economy, I wouldn't get anywhere near what I thought fair for my Sporty....I tried. With the buy back we will at least get over 10K for it. Though the 10K won't be so good after all the things they subtract from it....like other incentives. So, even though they aren't giving all they could, it's still better than trying to sell on our own in this economy anyway.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor

Hi Rhonda! Here's my take on your question - A touring bike is kind of like a fine wine, a perfectly broiled steak, a gorgeous and voluptuous woman if you will, or in your case perhaps Mr. America.

It's the kind of thing that you have to experience if just once in your life. To me, all Harleys are good and all serve a purpose, but the touring models just seem to have an edge.

Here's a quick example. Let's say you and your husband are out for a spin on the Ultra and you happen to remember that you need some laundry detergent. If you were on a Sportster or perhaps a Cross Bones, you would have to strap the 64 oz bottle to the handlebars, the rear fender or worse yet, carry it in your free hand. With the Ultra, you simply unlock the tour pak or saddlebag and viola, you have instant storage. It is at a time like this that you will think, "wow, I love my Ultra".

Another point that will convince you, if I haven't achieved that yet, is the fact that you will now be able to listen to your favorite tunes while cruising down the highway. There is nothing, and I mean nothing (not even that fine wine or steak we talked about earlier) that can compare to the feeling of cruising down the highway while listening to Tiny Tim singing "Tiptoe through the tulips". It's just amazing Rhonda. Hope this helps...

Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Mohntonite
Cruiser

Sell the sportster back bone stock if they wont give $ for add ons you have done. Sell the rest privately.
I too have gone from a Sportster to a Glide, worlds apart, but both great bikes in thier own respect.
Keep searching and dont tell them you have a trade until you can get lower #'s from them. Keep that in your back pocket till your ready.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 AM
roadking1893
Tourer

Hi Rhonda,

I'm the same way when it comes to selling something I would rather go the route easy for me and not give out to much. what's so good about the "Baggers". I can only offer you my experience with my 07 RKC which is my very first HD now that I've riden it 12k and have sat on several bikes actually took them around a block. It's like flying coach for years then fly first class. The comfort for the driver and the passenger is great don't know much about being a passenger but when ever I have someone two up they always say how comfortable it is from their previous ride.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

Don't forget if you are in a sales tax state you only pay the difference between your trade and the new bike. If you sell it private you would have to pay all the taxes on the ultra.

if your sales tax is 5% and the ultra is $22000 you would have to pay $1100 in tax. If they give you $10000 in trade your sales tax is only $600. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohntonite
Sell the sportster back bone stock if they wont give $ for add ons you have done.
Highly unlikely she'll get a red cent for her addons. I'd take any bolt-on upgrades off and replace them with the stock parts before doing the trade. She'd definitely get more $$ for the after market parts on eBay (regardless of the economy) than the dealer would consider as part of the trade in. That's a no-brainer.

As far as the topic goes...what's NOT to love about a Touring bike?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
jimc07ultra
3rd Gear

Hello Rhonda,

I just bought a 2007 Ultra Classic in July 2008. I am going to try to put into words why I love the bike. This is also my first Harley, so part of my experience is being a part of the Harley family. I sold my 1997 Honda Shadow 1100 for the Ultra. I thought the Shadow rode very comfortably and loved the way it handled. But when I rode my Ultra home that day, I noticed a world of difference. The comfort and handling was superior to the Shadow in every way. The Ultra is perfectly balanced, and I can ride 2 or 3 times further before feeling the effects of the ride compared to the Shadow.

Like Chief X said, being able to listen to whatever music you like while riding is something you just Have to experience. No ear buds in your ears, just you and the wind and your favorite tunes. Hook up your iPod, put in a CD or search for your favorite Am or FM radio station. Storage is also a plus. Everything I need can be put IN the bike, not just attached somewhere on the bike. Being able to lock the storage compartments is also a plus. I can go grab a bite to eat and not have to worry about my helmet, gloves, etc being gone when I get back.

My wife has her own bike, but she has ridden with me more in the past few months than she did the last few years combined! She loves to sometimes just look at the scenery, and she tells me the ride is more comfortable and she LOVES being able to listen to her music through the speakers instead of sticking the ears buds in her ears.

A bigger bike will also cut down the effects of the wind and air coming off trucks and cages moving the bike around. Very seldom do I feel the air moving me around. The upper and lower fairings also cut down on the effects of the weather, be it cold wind or rain. I also feel much safer with all the accessories that surround me.

Long winded I know, but I just wanted to try to explain. I thoroughly love this bike and wish I had done it much sooner. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: So...what's so good about a touring model anyway?