Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...what's so good about a touring model anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Take my word for it....YOU DO NOT WANT AN ULTRA!!! When you get an ultra or any EG for that matter, you have to spend countless hours pouring over maps, looking at roads on Google earth, planning where to go next, wondering how to get away from work for a few days, wishing you can get away from work for a month, buying trip programs for your computer, sending emails to every state tourism department and requesting info, which means you now need a filing cabinet to organize all the state info in, " tip here, put it in one of the lower drawers because that drawer will get full and make the cabinet top heavy", reading travel magazines and cutting out articles on places to see and things to do, etc, etc, etc.

You just don't know what a can of worms getting a tour bike opens! I could go on and on about this, but my filing cabinet just fell over!

Last edited by Watchfuliz; 01-05-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comfort, Tunes, Storage, Quiet, Less wind buffeting with fairing and lowers, Smooth. Fun to ride.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advantages of my Ultra:

Comfort is probably number 1. I've ridden my wife's Street Bob and there is a great difference. It rides so much smoother with much less vibration.

Tunes! I love riding the country roads all day listening to a CD of Shawn Mullins or Stevie Nicks. The music just goes so well with the riding!

Convenience. Having the tour pak and luggage rack and the saddle bags allows me to take nearly anything we need. It is nice not having to worry about how little we can take.

As far as where to buy. Would you consider an out of state dealer? Our southside dealer gives some of the best deals around here. I talked to a guy just the other day that drove up from Louisville. He said he called all over the mid-west and our southside dealership was the only one that would deal as much as he wanted. He said something about getting a couple thousand off. Try calling around to other areas.

Another thing to consider is buying off of Ebay. I bought both my Ultra and my wife's Street Bob on Ebay. Both are 2006 models, both had about 5,000 miles on them when I bought them. I got the Ultra for $15,900 a year ago and the Street Bob for $9,000 this past fall (it had $6,000 worth of accesorries on it when I bought it, not counting any labor charges). I bought the Street Bob from a guy in Virginia and had it delivered to Indiana using uship.com for $400. The Ultra was still under factory warranty so I bought an extended warranty so I'm covered like it is new. There is nothing like buying new, but there are other options if you want to consider them. Let me know if you having any questions about any of this. Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
Take my word for it....YOU DO NOT WANT AN ULTRA!!! When you get an ultra or any EG for that matter, you have to spend countless hours pouring over maps, looking at roads on Google earth, planning where to go next, wondering how to get away from work for a few days, wishing you can get away from work for a month, buying trip programs for your computer, sending emails to every state tourism department and requesting info, which means you now need a filing cabinet to organize all the state info in, " tip here, put it in one of the lower drawers because that drawer will get full and make the cabinet top heavy", reading travel magazines and cutting out articles on places to see and things to do, etc, etc, etc.

You just don't know what a can of worms getting a tour bike opens! I could go on and on about this, but my filing cabinet just fell over!
Hahahaha!!!! Fantastic!!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rhonda,

With regards to the Ultra...both me and my wife are in our 50's. And as I mentioned in another thread the kids are grown and gone and we, well mostly me are hedging for long distance, multi week 2 wheeled vacations. In the not so distant past all my wife had was a p-pad,sissy bar and thats all. With all due respect the Ultra provides the creature comfort my wife deserves. Wide cushiony back seat. Controls for the radio,intercom and CB on the back seat along with back seat speakers. And a wide (tourpac)cushioned back rest too. We both like traveling with the intercom/cb/radio/cassette. We both need to lose a little weight as I am sure we are pushing the reccomended weight allowance? The cruise control is great and we both like being able to talk with the intercom/helmet speakers. And music while riding seems to make the ride more enjoyable.

You'll love it.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhonda
We are in the middle of trying to find the best HD dealership to purchase our new Ultra Classic from. We are trading my 08 Sportster Low in on a new Ultra and getting MSRP for my Sportster and we would get the same amount for it at any participating dealer. Only thing is though, we're trying to decide which place will sell us one at the best price. It seems that lots of places don't give the usual buyer perks when using the Sportster incentive. For instance, some won't give us the $1000.00 of parts, clothes that come with a usual purchase and some will. Right now we're still checking them all out to find out which will give us a good deal. I tell you one thing though, HD dealerships DO NOT act like they are hurting for business. It's like a "take it or leave it....the next guy will buy it if you don't" attitude that STILL prevails. Oh well.

The wait is killing me. I'm not very patient. So in the meanwhile, though we have already made up our minds on purchasing an Ultra, I'd love for you to ease my pain of waiting and tell me what you love about your touring bike (no matter which one). How much better is it on trips than what you had before....and just what's so good about it?

Tell me anything......anything will help! Thanks!
The fact it's so comfortable that even though it was about 44 degrees and sunny today, I still enjoyed a 100 mile ride after work The tunes were pumping!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
cms1528
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find the dealer that will give you the best deal, remember it does not have to be the same dealer you plan to patronize after the sale.

As far as touring bukes go, like everyone here will tell you they are just awesome to own if you have the means. There is nothing like loading up the trunks and heading out for a long weekend. The best trips on a touring bike are the ones you just take without knowing exactly where you want to go.

Not only that you will find yourself running out to take care of the honey list. You'll want to and will ride vertually all year round. That's something most people don't do on their bar hopper due to lack of protection from the elements that the dressor will give you. Be patient you're gonna love it when that thing is sitting in the garage.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Rhonda, I bought my first Ultra several years back while the wife still rode with me. It was a MONSTOR difference from the Fatboy we had previously. Now that she won't ride with me anymore (she rides her own Deluxe) I still wouldn't lower my standards to anything less than the Ultra. I am on my seond one, and I'll never own anything else.

First time you do a 6-8 hundred mile day, you will totally understand..
Having the radio, the pure comfort of the bike, and the ability to east up the miles without even realizing you were doing so. Add in the ability to lock everything up in the bike (helmets included) and there is nothing morre that you could ask for.

Do yourself one major favor..talk your hubby into getting the ABS. you WILL regret it if you don't. And have him add the kuryakan Adjustable Passenger pegs to the bike. They give YOU more places to put your feet, making your ride even more comfortable.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz

Great Response!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

one HUGE advantage of the trade in is taxes u only pay them on the out of pocket cash with the 10000 grand buy back you could save around 800 $ but youll spend 5 times that on bling now that your hangin out here!

Quick Reply: So...what's so good about a touring model anyway?