Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Bagger" Defined; Agree? Disagree?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 AM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I've often wondered where the line was drawn between 'what is' vs. 'what isn't' a Bagger. In a recent Hot Bike -Baggers Buyers Guide Editor Courtney Hallowel, asked his staff to create a definition for 'Bagger'. According to the magazine, a Bagger is (quote): "a bike that meets the criteria of being a cruiser, but comes with hard bags, not leather, and a windshield." Continuing...."Yes, the Dyna Defender fit that profile, but so does the Harley Road King"

So now I'm really confused..according to Mr. Hallowell, the RK Standard w/hard bags is a Bagger; but the leather bagged - RK Classic and RK Custom are not!? If the bike comes from any (yes, according to Hallowell, even metrics) factory w/hard bags + windshield it is a Bagger, but, if you aftermarket hard bags and a windshield it is not?!?

Hmmmm........?
Hey man,,,, Nice Bagger you got there

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Agree!
That was so wrong, I'm just cruisn' along, enjoying this thread, and you have to put this in front of me!

How about a little warning next time!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,389 Likes on 11,426 Posts
Default that ain't funny dawg.......

Quietly setting at my computer enjoying a cold beer and a few pretzel rods,
and without a warning you splash that pic on here.

Guess I'd better chew them pretzels better next time....
my left nostril may never be the same.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Whatyardwork
Advanced
Wink

I've often wondered where the line was drawn between 'what is' vs. 'what isn't' a Bagger. In a recent Hot Bike -Baggers Buyers Guide Editor Courtney Hallowel, asked his staff to create a definition for 'Bagger'. According to the magazine, a Bagger is (quote): "a bike that meets the criteria of being a cruiser, but comes with hard bags, not leather, and a windshield." Continuing...."Yes, the Dyna Defender fit that profile, but so does the Harley Road King"

So now I'm really confused..according to Mr. Hallowell, the RK Standard w/hard bags is a Bagger; but the leather bagged - RK Classic and RK Custom are not!? If the bike comes from any (yes, according to Hallowell, even metrics) factory w/hard bags + windshield it is a Bagger, but, if you aftermarket hard bags and a windshield it is not?!?

Hmmmm........?
I digress...As I understand it the term "bagger" comes from a Spanish translation of an ancient female Amazon tribe.Roughly translated
'bag-her" or her bag.After all isnt it all about how much crap they need on that trip....Dont forget the hair dryer.So any scoot with enough luggage capacity for a 3 day trip and room for a hair dryer should be considered a bagger.Unless of course said bike is female owned in such case it is a dress her..or dresser because the lack of mans 2 pairs of jeans makes room for an evening gown.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like you've had some pleasant rides with the OL.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatyardwork
I digress...As I understand it the term "bagger" comes from a Spanish translation of an ancient female Amazon tribe.Roughly translated
'bag-her" or her bag.After all isnt it all about how much crap they need on that trip....Dont forget the hair dryer.So any scoot with enough luggage capacity for a 3 day trip and room for a hair dryer should be considered a bagger.Unless of course said bike is female owned in such case it is a dress her..or dresser because the lack of mans 2 pairs of jeans makes room for an evening gown.
Best explaination yet of the diff between Bagger and Dresser!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Whatyardwork
Advanced

Sounds like you've had some pleasant rides with the OL.
Actualy we have..several Daytona's, 1 Myrtle beach,Americade,too many Laconia's to remember.Still it always comes down to that hair dryer.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
johnu
Cruiser

I've often wondered where the line was drawn between 'what is' vs. 'what isn't' a Bagger. In a recent Hot Bike -Baggers Buyers Guide Editor Courtney Hallowel, asked his staff to create a definition for 'Bagger'. According to the magazine, a Bagger is (quote): "a bike that meets the criteria of being a cruiser, but comes with hard bags, not leather, and a windshield."
This one I rode to Sturgis did not meet the guide lines either!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
I'm certainly no authority on this subject, but.......
I've always considered a dresser to be a decked out scoot, like an Ultra..one with a tour pack. Bagger is simply a scoot with saddlebags. However, I've never called a Heritage a bagger, it's either a softtail or a Heritage, to me.

I still use both words, Bagger & Dresser.

I kinda think the definition is in the eye of the beholder.

Again, I'm no authority on the subject. Just my opinion.
I think the older term was dresser and that was long before there were Ultras or anything else, even Electra Glides. Then there were Hydra Glides and Duo Glides. They had a windshield and saddlebags, usually leather at the time. The bagger term is Generation X or some other language than American that I know. I don't care what you call them but the Harley dresser had leather bags before freakin fiberglas. I do know that.