Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local HD dealer laying off

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 PM
St Glide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by St Glide
I have been told hat HD won't let them deal on the new bikes to keep the prices up, don't know if that is true but makes since b/c none of them will deal the price even with the sales as south as they are. I do know that dealers are throwing in things like 5yr warranty and 3yr maintenance plans to try to entice people.
This is true I believe it is part of their Franchise Agreement to maintain resale value in the market and to also remain competitive with other dealers.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
hdman1216
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by st glide
i have been told hat hd won't let them deal on the new bikes to keep the prices up, don't know if that is true but makes since b/c none of them will deal the price even with the sales as south as they are. I do know that dealers are throwing in things like 5yr warranty and 3yr maintenance plans to try to entice people.

This is true i believe it is part of their franchise agreement to maintain resale value in the market and to also remain competitive with other dealers.
you are dead wrong get your facts right before spouting off.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's what I'm thinking--there are quite a few dealers out there who have no business being IN business. The ones I'm talking about don't know beans about customer service and thought "HD" stood for "Hot Damn!" and they had hopped aboard a gravy train that would never end. As the old saying goes, "a rising tide lifts all boats" and when there were waiting lists for new bikes these guys could get away with murder. But now the coin has flipped and you've got to be a savvy business person just to survive. As far as I'm concerned, some of these characters can go straight out of business without passing "go" and without collecting $200. I went a lot of years without a dealership within 100 miles and I can do it again. I may have to travel farther but at least I'll know that they probably care about my business.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
03harleyrider
Advanced

well here is my opinion on the situation granted i am a new harley owner bought my first one in jan of 08 and my second one in nov 08 have any of you ever looked what the hd franchise cost after you have a building and location that hd has to approve these owners of the hd shops are not really worried about money they are all multi millionares i have also heard that the new bikes are on consignment may not be true not fo rsure but makes sense that is how they can let them sit on the floor without selling them but like i said i am new to this so what the hell do i know

Last edited by 03harleyrider; 01-02-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
hdman1216
Cruiser
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 03harleyrider
well here is my opinion on the situation granted i am a new harley owner bought my first one in jan of 08 and my second one in nov 08 have any of you ever looked what the hd franchise cost after you have a building and location that hd has to approve these owners of the hd shops are not really worried about money they are all multi millionares i have also heard that the new bikes are on consignment may not be true not fo rsure but makes sense that is how they can let them sit on the floor without selling them but like i said i am new to this so what the hell do i know
nothing obviously.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM
hdman1216
Cruiser
Default Final Thoughts On This Thread

After wasting a few minutes reading this thread, it is absolutly amazing how many people
do not have a clue about business or how to run one. I have never seen so much speculation and guessing on one subject in my life with the majority of the speculation and guessing way off base.

The only reason I reply to this thread is to say that if you don't know the subject, don't add to the speculation and guessing.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman1216
After wasting a few minutes reading this thread, it is absolutly amazing how many people
do not have a clue about business or how to run one. I have never seen so much speculation and guessing on one subject in my life with the majority of the speculation and guessing way off base.

The only reason I reply to this thread is to say that if you don't know the subject, don't add to the speculation and guessing.

And your qualifications are....................

Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
wi.st.rod
Cruiser

My best friend owns a dealership and she can sell at whatever price she wants to.
How good of a friend is she? Ask her to sell me a 2009 FLTR, with Security, ABS, 5 Year Warranty Extension, taxes and fees -- total out the door for $19,000. By my estimation of invoice prices, she'd still be making well over $1k profit. So, since she can sell at whatever price she wants, how about doing a guy a favor? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:58 PM
scasey
Road Master

Well enlighten us with your know it all wisdom instead of just saying everyone is wrong and pretending that you have all the answers

Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM
scasey
Road Master

That is BULL ****. Unless you know something for sure, just keep it to yourself. My best friend owns a dealership and she can sell at whatever price she wants to.

So I have to assume you got your bike for invoice right? LOL sure! And since your friend owns a dealership what is the invoice price of a SG so we can all know what the profits are and are able to deal better?

Quick Reply: Local HD dealer laying off