Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local HD dealer laying off

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true, I got a great deal and a huge discount on the extended warranty too. Got 5 extra years (total of 7) for $400 more. Nowhere near MSRP. I do know they dont relish doing out of state deals though so maybe thats why their reluctance to talk to you.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
scasey
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Not true, I got a great deal and a huge discount on the extended warranty too. Got 5 extra years (total of 7) for $400 more. Nowhere near MSRP. I do know they dont relish doing out of state deals though so maybe thats why their reluctance to talk to you.

Well I'm glad you didn't have to pay that. Even still, with what they are offering it is way better than anyone aroud here. My local dealer wanted full price including all fees. The funny thing is that the owner has 3 dealerships here and his other store(much smaller store) was $1900 cheaper than the so called superplex, go figure.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I think that's part of the reason different Dealers charge different prices. Some have huge stores and huge overhead. The dealer I worked with was an old long established dealer with a "paid for" owned premises and lower overhead. They are a "smaller" Dealership in relative terms but I am certainly glad I went there. Conversely, the next Dealer which is actually closest to me (and is bigger / much newer) quoted me full boat list for everything, full boat for the extended warranty plus he wanted something like $900 extra for set up / delivery too. What a joke! (But they are the sponsor of the HOG Chapter I joined, they just dont get any of my business. Their fault, not mine.)

Last edited by RODEO; 01-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:42 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealers greedy? it's called capitalism, it's how our country got to be great. Smart business people succeed the bad fail. I know people like to vent on the site but really, the dealer won't give me the deal I want so he is greedy?
The majority of Dealers know way more than we do about whats going on with HD and are making decisions they believe will make them more profit in tough times. We as always can buy or not buy where we please.
Looks to me like with production cut backs it means they will get less bikes and need to cover overhead so maybe short term discounting does not make sense if they think they will sell everything you get this year.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by GymRat523
Dealers greedy? it's called capitalism, it's how our country got to be great. Smart business people succeed the bad fail. I know people like to vent on the site but really, the dealer won't give me the deal I want so he is greedy?
The majority of Dealers know way more than we do about whats going on with HD and are making decisions they believe will make them more profit in tough times. We as always can buy or not buy where we please.
Looks to me like with production cut backs it means they will get less bikes and need to cover overhead so maybe short term discounting does not make sense if they think they will sell everything you get this year.

I would be willing to pay MSRP from my local dealer but the crooks still want 1100 in fees above that which is all BS fluff, not going to do it

Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM
wi.st.rod
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scasey
Well I'm glad you didn't have to pay that. Even still, with what they are offering it is way better than anyone aroud here. My local dealer wanted full price including all fees. The funny thing is that the owner has 3 dealerships here and his other store(much smaller store) was $1900 cheaper than the so called superplex, go figure.
I will be interested in seeing if this is true in my area as well. I am going shopping tomorrow for a new '09 FLTR. My plan is to buy (or at least order, if they don't have what I want on the floor) tomorrow -- cash deal, no trade. I have three dealerships within a 30 minute drive of where I live. Two of them are long established dealers that are in new, very large facilities. The third is also a long established dealer, but in small place (has been in the same place for many years). My plan is to tell the salesman or sales manager what I want, and ask for them to quote me their "best" deal. I will explain up front that I am visiting three dealerships, with the intent of closing a deal by the end of the day. I will let you know if the small shop, or one of the large ones, earns my business! If none of them offers what I believe to be a fair deal, I will be delaying my purchase (maybe pick up an '09 when the 2010 models are released)!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Pope
Advanced

The auto companies are hurting because they have too much overhead to not sell cars for even 2 mos.. It's not that they don't make a product people don't want. Nissan sales were down more than the big 3. The big 3 made SUVs and big *** trucks because that is what consumers wanted. They sell gas mizers too, but nobody is buying is the problem. Motorcycles, boats, and RVs are going to take a big hit because items like this always do when things get bad. They are recreational and not a necessity.

We all expect prices to fall in hard times, but that isn't really the norm. Prices will fall when wages fall.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by wi.st.rod
I will be interested in seeing if this is true in my area as well. I am going shopping tomorrow for a new '09 FLTR. My plan is to buy (or at least order, if they don't have what I want on the floor) tomorrow -- cash deal, no trade. I have three dealerships within a 30 minute drive of where I live. Two of them are long established dealers that are in new, very large facilities. The third is also a long established dealer, but in small place (has been in the same place for many years). My plan is to tell the salesman or sales manager what I want, and ask for them to quote me their "best" deal. I will explain up front that I am visiting three dealerships, with the intent of closing a deal by the end of the day. I will let you know if the small shop, or one of the large ones, earns my business! If none of them offers what I believe to be a fair deal, I will be delaying my purchase (maybe pick up an '09 when the 2010 models are released)!

Please do let me know how things go for you and GL

Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
hdman1216
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scasey
I have been told hat HD won't let them deal on the new bikes to keep the prices up, don't know if that is true but makes since b/c none of them will deal the price even with the sales as south as they are. I do know that dealers are throwing in things like 5yr warranty and 3yr maintenance plans to try to entice people but I have been searching for a dealer to give me a deal on a SG and it ain't happening
That is BULL ****. Unless you know something for sure, just keep it to yourself. My best friend owns a dealership and she can sell at whatever price she wants to.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
St Glide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been told hat HD won't let them deal on the new bikes to keep the prices up, don't know if that is true but makes since b/c none of them will deal the price even with the sales as south as they are. I do know that dealers are throwing in things like 5yr warranty and 3yr maintenance plans to try to entice people.

This is true I believe it is part of their Franchise Agreement to maintain resale value in the market and to also remain competitive with other dealers.

Quick Reply: Local HD dealer laying off