Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius/XM Radio on Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009 | 07:07 PM
ArgyleRider
|
Tourer
Default Sirius/XM Radio on Ultra?

When I get my Ultra at the end of this month, I was planning on having the dealer install the XM radio module and pay for a year subscription. But I just read an article, I think in the WSJ, that questioned whether Sirius/XM will make it through 2009 as a company.

Anyone have any insight?

Old 01-01-2009 | 07:14 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

they will be there. I don't see the fastest growing medium just disappearing. I think there are lots of negative press about sat radio brought on by lobbyist that represent terestrial...

Old 01-01-2009 | 07:15 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

oh, and you get 3 months free with the tuner.

Old 01-01-2009 | 07:18 PM
nocarb
Road Master

I hope they make it because I just bought module, haven't installed it yet.

Old 01-01-2009 | 07:21 PM
ArgyleRider
|
Tourer

Thanks. I figured that since it isn't that expensive, and if Sirius/XM were to go under they would probably be bought by someone else, that it isn['t a huge risk. But then, would the new owner honor existing contracts?

I'll probably go for it, but I was hoping there might be someone around here that had some knowledge of the industry.

Old 01-01-2009 | 07:44 PM
BigFokker
Tourer

If your XM module is new (meaning no one has had service on it prior to you) then it's easier to use one of the free promotions.

I put XM in the wife's SUV, added it on to the Pioneer head unit, and I got her a three year subscription for free. Her module was new.

The module I put in my truck was a refurb, so no freebie...I ended up getting the $77/yr promotion on that one.

Call them and let them know you're a new customer. Ask for the three month free trial. Before the trial ends, call em' back and let them know you want to subscribe and you want the $77/yr deal (half price for 1 yr.) then give them your credit card# and they'll deduct another $12.95 for attaching a cc# to the account. All said and done, 15 months of XM for $64!
Be sure to give them a cc# that will expire during the year of subscription because some folks have complained about random renewal charges after they cancelled their subscriptions.

Enjoy

Old 01-01-2009 | 09:43 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Check out the xm forums. A lot of talk about their financial situation.

http://www.xmfan.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Old 01-01-2009 | 10:49 PM
BigFokker
Tourer

Originally Posted by christophgage
Check out the xm forums. A lot of talk about their financial situation.

http://www.xmfan.com/viewforum.php?f=2
Man they like to bicker on that forum!

Old 01-02-2009 | 08:26 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

I would hold off on spending any significant $$ on hardware. Facts are facts.

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/...ock-sale-work/

The satellite radio industry (well, one company now...) business model depends heavily on getting subscribers through the the sale of new cars, and we all know what's happening in the car business. Satellite radio was good in its time, but it will be in the same scrap heap as VHS video tape before very long, so I'm not sure there will be many eager buyers if it goes under.

Not to mention the fact that Sirius XM has terrible customer service (your calls are answered overseas) and are awful to deal with. I was a subscriber for 3 years, but once I got a Zumo (with its 1000 song mp3 capability) I quit using XM and called to cancel my subscription. They tried to keep me with half price discounts and free months, but I insisted that I wanted to cancel, not get it cheaper, and finally she told me to hold for a supervisor who never came on the line. The next month I got tagged for another 12.95 on my credit card. I called customer service again and talked to another "Dottie" (who said her name was "Heather"--the first time I ever heard someone with that name and an Indian accent) and she said my record showed that I had called in for some reason last month but it didn't say why. Gee, what a novel way to keep subscribers--hang up on them when they want to cancel! So now my bank is disputing the charge.

Last edited by Sharknose; 01-02-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2009 | 04:24 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master

If you are looking for a factory one, this was just posted in the for sale.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...d-harness.html

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM Radio on Ultra?