Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TMAX W/AT or PC V W/AT for 09 Baggers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:21 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TMAX W/AT or PC V W/AT for 09 Baggers?

I'm planning my upgrades for my 09 SG and wanted to poll everyone on thier thoughts....

I have decided I want a tuner with auto tune because I want to limit my dyno time...zero if possible...and I don't want to have to play with it much. I don't know much about tuning and am hoping one of these systems will be the ticket for me.

What are you reasons for choosing one over the other???

Old 01-01-2009, 10:29 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you call Jamie at Fuelmotousa.com and you buy from him, he will preload a map that is pretty much dead on based on your bikes configuration. In my opinion, there is no need for an autotune module unless you do engine config changes a lot.

BTW, the PCV is very nice but I just put it on the bike and ride. Jamie's maps are that close. Never had any of my bikes on a Dyno... never needed to. Never felt the need to pay someone 2-3 hundred bucks to let them dog the living **** out of my bike just to get 3-5 horses more out of it. Of course there are many reasons to dyno a bike, but simple changes like adding an A/C and pipes ain't it. My 2 cents anyway.

lp

Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Question

Forgot to mention my config....

Right now I'm running a 103 stage 1...but I am planning to swap out the SE mufflers for Rush 2.0

Later on I want to add cams...probably SE 255's

I thought the autotune would allow me to add engine upgades with minimal time playing around with the tuner. Plus don't the wideband sensors help keep things were you want them all the time???

Old 01-01-2009, 11:02 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sent an email to Jamie...

"I have a 2007 HD Ultra. I have the PC III and LCD. I have the bike down for a Head Quarters T C 103 T Build. I have V & H True Duels with SE 4 inch Slip ons. How much for the PC V, w/auto tune? Will the LD work with the PC V? Do you have a base MAP for this set up?"

And I got the following answer...

"Hello, we will be testing PC V compatibility on the 07 bike in 3-4 weeks and will have more info at that time. "

Thank you.........Jamie"

I am not really sure what he means by this other than he doesnt have a base map for my configuration. Does anyone have a base map for my set up?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:33 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Check the maps available for the Tmax and make sure they have maps for your set up. Yes, it auto tunes, but it tunes to a specific map that you will have to change as you make mods. I have a friend who bought the tmax only to find out they didn't have an exact map for his pipes. He called and used the map they recommended but his mileage sucked and it had bad decel pop. He stopped at their booth in Sturgis where they tweaked the map for him for free. It got better but he had them do it again in Daytona. Runs better now but what a pain. He did say they were nice to deal with and now works ok but I think he would prefer something different

I have a SERT for my bike and love it. Found a great guy to tune it once and I'm done. He did a great job. Good mileage and it runs great. Lots of people love the power commander but I don't like the idea of a piggy back device lying to the ecm when you can just reprogram the ecm for your bikes mods and have it tweaked to your specific bike. The $200 I spent on the dyno was one of the best investments I have made.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

No one has any opinion on the pros/cons of either the TMAX or PC V????

Old 01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an opinion on them...

Get yourself a TTS, SEST, or DirectLink & have it tuned. Forget the others.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh, you want opinions? I've got one.

The TMAX, for me, would instead be a DTT if I went that route (came very close to doing just that), but I got the TTS tuner instead. Am so glad I did. It's got to be the best bang for the buck, and the best way to deal with tuning the Delphi EFI anyway, even if it's not the absolute cheapest. But as I understand it, it is anyway if you want the wide-band auto-tuning module along with the PC-V. And you've still got a piggyback setup with that. I don't know exactly how the EFI figures its injector opening/closing times/locations in the crank cycle, but it might want to shut them off just before the intake valve closes or something, varying the opening location to change the amount of time they're open. I'm just guessing on that, there's at least three possibilities which come right to mind. There might be (extremely minor) implications if to increase fuel with a piggyback you always have to extend the "open time" for the injector at the tail end of what the EFI is saying to do.

See? It's just so easy to best-use the EFI with the TTS and be done with it, and you never have to consider anything at all like the injector-timing issue, among others, you get with a piggyback.

In terms of the TMAX, the only real benefit it offers over the stock EFI is that it'll be able to confirm "AFR" in a few places the stock one won't. The way the stock EFI "autotunes" makes that pretty moot. But the stock EFI has a couple things the TMAX don't. First is that the TMAX makes no use of the stock MAP sensor. Second is the stock gear has "Ion Sensing" of the combustion process via the plugs/coils to check for absence of combustion and spark knock, etc.

At least the DTT, as compared to the TMAX, makes use of the MAP sensor for "load-based" control over the ignition advance. I believe the DTT also has much better software and logging functionality.

A summary of my opinion would just be "get yourself the TTS tuning system."

Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 AM
FLHXn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am convinced that Thundermax with auto tune is the way to go. I'm told that the 08 and up touring model will be available next week. I'm told that Monday they will give me a price and then I can pre order one. I think it's gonna be about 900 bucks but I'm sold on it.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 AM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

TTS tuner from www.mastertune.net

I have done a 07 Fatboy, 08 Fatboy, 07 Heritage, 2008 Ultra and a 2009 Ultra and it works and it works well.

Just set it up and do some v-tune runs and your set.

I have run them all DTT, PC3 and the Thundermax and the thing that scares me with the Thundermax is that it still loses sync with the speedo and all the electronics to the speedo and idiot lights die until you turn the ignition off and on.

Now it only happens now and again and they have had 4 to 5 firmware upgrades and still can't fix it and I wonder what is going to happen if the same bug exists with the 08/09 TBW touring bikes !?!?!?

You could be minding your own business on the freeway doing 85 and the speedo dies and the idiot lights come on and BANG your throttle stops working.

Your going to have a hard time suing Zippers if your dead!

Over 2 years and they still can't get that bug worked out and now they want to have a crack at TBW...................Not me

Quick Reply: TMAX W/AT or PC V W/AT for 09 Baggers?