Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Solo Seat ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 PM
14vision
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang Solo Seat ?

Just bought a Mustang Tripper solo seat and I am a little confused on installation. I was under impresion I could just use the solo seat by itself without the passanger seat, but it has two clips on the back and I am not sure if it will mount by itslef or if I need the rear piece to bolt on to it?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 PM
BDHE
Cruiser

14vision;

First, take off the stock seat by removing the phillips head screw on the back fender, lifting the back slightly and pulling to the rear. Once the stock seat is off, you'll see two bolts sticking up with nuts and big round plastic washers. Remove the nuts but DO NOT remove the plastic washers. With the new solo seat angled up in the back, hook the mounting slot on the bottom front of the seat pan on the tang up by the gas tank. Then lower the two mounting tabs onto the bolts/washers that you uncovered before. Bolt seat down (don't over tighten -- it's really not going to want to move around much). Go ride and congratulate yourself on improving your motorcycle immensly.

If you're like most of us, you'll install the mini-bib to cover those nasty looking plastic washers and use the chrome mustang mounting bolts. Your HD dealer will have a chrome plug that covers that now-empty mounting hole on the fender.

Bryon

Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 PM
scooby doo
Tourer

Have the same set up and agree about the bib. It looks great. I've got the small half bib not the longer one. Great explanation for installation above. It's a great bar hopper but on the longer runs you'll feel it. That being said, it's not meant for the long trips. I made the mistake of having it on for a 4000 k run one week.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM
14vision
Advanced

Thanks guys for the great answers...

I new there was a trick to it....

Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 PM
14vision
Advanced

Originally Posted by scooby doo
Have the same set up and agree about the bib. It looks great. I've got the small half bib not the longer one. Great explanation for installation above. It's a great bar hopper but on the longer runs you'll feel it. That being said, it's not meant for the long trips. I made the mistake of having it on for a 4000 k run one week.
Scooby,

What isn't you dont like about this seat on longer runs? Padding, angle etc... Also what do you prefer to use for the longer runs? I was thinking about the HD Sundowner for that....

Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 PM
scooby doo
Tourer

Not sure if it's the padding. I do find it a little thin in spots. I could just have been me not taking the appropriate breaks. Hard to stop when it's so much fun to ride. I'm still trying to find a good long run seat myself. Heard all the good things about sundowner and mustang tour.
Bike gets a lot of compliments with the tripper though so for around town its great. Not to mention, if you're looking to lower yourself it certainly does the trick.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
14vision
Advanced

Originally Posted by scooby doo
Not sure if it's the padding. I do find it a little thin in spots. I could just have been me not taking the appropriate breaks. Hard to stop when it's so much fun to ride. I'm still trying to find a good long run seat myself. Heard all the good things about sundowner and mustang tour.
Bike gets a lot of compliments with the tripper though so for around town its great. Not to mention, if you're looking to lower yourself it certainly does the trick.
Thanks...

I have 2009 SG and would like to see picture of your bike....

Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 PM
scooby doo
Tourer

First I would have to figure out how to load up.
That being said, a lot has changed and it's apart someone getting alot of powder coating. levers, crashbar, lowers, uppers, rear strut and horseshoe piece. Thinking of chrome piece on top of tank as well but that's up in the air. Its winter so time to tinker.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Originally Posted by 14vision
Scooby,

What isn't you dont like about this seat on longer runs? Padding, angle etc... Also what do you prefer to use for the longer runs? I was thinking about the HD Sundowner for that....
I have a Mustang Solo and on longer runs I attach the passenger seat with the solo because it gives me back support. That's the only knock I have against this seat is that the back support is very little, not bad for riding around town, but not good for long trips.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought a Mustang two-piece with a backrest so that I could get the extra support for my lower back. The solo (w/o backrest) is a great looking seat though. Its for sale if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Mustang Solo Seat ?