Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caution when buying new wheels. Read

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Caution when buying new wheels. Read

I recently got some chrome 40 spoke wheels for my 99 Electra Glide from American Classic Motors. I got the too good to be true deal on the 40 spoke front and rear wheels for 350 delivered. I spent another 225 at my local HD Stealer dealer to have the wheel bearing packed and the run out clearance set up and the tire rotors and pulley switched off my wagon wheels. I removed and am installing them myself or I'd be even more in the hole!!. GUESS WHAT? They don't fkcuin fit. Know why??? The wheels they say will fit our glides whether it be the 3/4 bearing like mine or the 1 inch bearings are 16 x 3.5 NOT REPEAT NOT 16 x 3. It makes the tire too blown out and rubs the inside of the front fender. I can only imagine the back will be worse. So the bottom line DONT BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY/WRITE>>> DO YOUR FREAKIN HOMEWORK and learn from my 650.00 mistake cause now I gotta pay to switch and put the old ones back and you just know they are gonna hassle me for a lousy 300 return because I mounted tires on em. I went off there information as posted on Ebay AND I CALLLED A TECH and was told its a go. SO LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE IF YOUR THINKING OF SWAPPING OUT WHEElS. DONT THROW EM ON AND RIDE ALL HAPPY AND HSIT.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:42 PM
hogdad
Road Captain

UGGHH Just looked again and its rubbing something in the front fender for sure. Clearance is scary tight even if I could locate the sources of the rubbing

Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 PM
fastultra.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be cheaper to fix the rub than lose the laced wheels!!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:48 PM
hogdad
Road Captain

I know. believe me I'm thinking about it. Wonder if the rear would fit though? I mean its new years eve I cant spend it in the garage but I would like to know. Man am I disappointed.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the listing on ebay was misrepresented and they said the wheels would fit and they don't, then you should be able to return them without question. Still sucks though. If they give you a hard time and you paid w/paypal w/a credit card, then you have several options to get your money back.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

What brand tire are you using up front? I have a 4" wheel up front with a Metz 130 and it clears, sorta! I have to literally squeeze it in there, but once it clears the bulging part of the fender bracket (at the forks) it clears fine and no trouble what so ever. I was very nervous too, but it did clear. I used soapy water to get it in there and had to wiggle it back and forth to force it between the fender brackets. Once thru, it was ok. Might want to try it. My wheel is wider than yours. I have alot of friends that have 3.5 wheels on and no problems at all. Maybe they are offset? and shouldn't be. The rear should be fine. Take a look with a light to see what exactly is hitting. Hope that helps.
Jerry

Old 12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Just so I am straight, they advertised a 16x3" wheel and shipped you a 16x3.5" wheel? Any chance they just messed up the shipment and will make it right? Have you talked to them yet?

I know they don't have a flawless reputation, but at least give them a chance to make right before you slam them too hard. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed to but you need to make them aware of it and see what they are going to do first.

Just my opinion

Zach

Old 12-31-2008, 06:13 PM
HogBack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I feel your pain... Sorry but I hate ebay. I am done buying anything on ebay...took a hit two out of two times in 07.... The only thing I have done right is not go back on and buy anything in 08... If I do... I deserve what I get...

Hogback

Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM
hogdad
Road Captain

No they advertised a 3.5 inch wheel that filts an FLHT frame from 84-99. I called and thier tech guy said it would fit no problem

Old 12-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up. Do you happen to have the spacers reversed? I'm pretty sure they are different sizes.

Zach

Quick Reply: Caution when buying new wheels. Read