Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to Quiet Down Your Rinehart Td's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008 | 02:53 PM
Clint55
|
Road Warrior
Default Want to Quiet Down Your Rinehart Td's?

I happen to think my Rinehart TD’s are too loud. Nice at idle and easy cruise, but grab a handful or climb a hill and they are downright obnoxious IMHO. It’s not so much the decibels but the raspy, sharp barking sound. Keith at Fuel Moto calls this the “cracking” sound. Anyway there are solutions if anyone else has the same issue.

I talked with Keith for about 20 minutes yesterday. Super nice guy and has forgotten more about exhaust than I will ever know.

Option 1) Rush now makes mufflers that will fit onto the Rinehart head-pipes. They have multiple baffle options on the Rush mufflers so you can pretty much suit your sound to taste. Also some multiple tip options so you can get the look you like. You can see the options at rushracingproducts.com, but I would definitely buy from Fuel Moto because the customer service and product support is unparalleled.

Option 2) The Rinehart TD baffles do not have ANY packing. This goes for both the stock and quiet baffles. They are little more than steel pipes with a few holes punched into them. Kieth says this is the reason for the “cracking” sound. For $40 delivered, Kieth is sending me the Pro-Packing material that they use to wrap their Jackpot baffles. He went over in detail exactly how to wrap and secure my existing Rinehart baffles with the new material and claims that it should take away that “cracking raspy bark” that I get. He also says that it should mellow and lower the tone.

Needless to say I am going with option 2 and will do the deed as soon as the material arrives. I'll let everyone know how it goes and what I think about the new sound.

Just wanted to pass this along.

Old 12-31-2008 | 02:55 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm with you you TDs are too loud. Man I was glad to sell mine.

Old 12-31-2008 | 03:00 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior

too loud? I thought maybe they were too soft... I definately like the loud bark when you jump on the thottle.... but thats just me!

Enjoy, and good luck with your modification!

Old 12-31-2008 | 03:31 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

I think my Rineharts are not loud enough either because I can barely hear it over my I pod.

Old 12-31-2008 | 03:40 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member

Yep I Agree, Especially at 80+ Miles an Hour . You've Got to Love That Sound.

Old 12-31-2008 | 04:00 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

I had RH's on my softail and youre correct about the noise, I bought the wrapping (any mc shop sells the stuff) but I noticed on the performance baffle there wasnt enough room to wrap the baffle AND get it back in the pipe. Maybe touring mufflers/baffles are different.

Old 12-31-2008 | 04:02 PM
Jambon1
Tourer

fx4- "too loud"

rerb95- "too soft"

Mine- "Just Right"

Old 01-01-2009 | 11:06 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

I have the Rinehart slip-ons and I bought muffler packing from a local motorcycle shop for $10. It was Moose brand used in dirt bikes. That was recommended to me by Bub's tech. It dropped the tone a bunch to a more pleasing level. It is not hard to do either.

Old 01-01-2009 | 12:36 PM
Junebug
Advanced

You think they bark now you should run them on a big bore motor with higher compression. Best damn sounding bike in the pack !!!!

Old 01-01-2009 | 03:29 PM
shoveldog
Tourer

Originally Posted by FX4
I'm with you you TDs are too loud. Man I was glad to sell mine.
Yeah, I felt the same way, someone was as glad to get them as I was to be rid of them.

Quick Reply: Want to Quiet Down Your Rinehart Td's?