Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Lighting for Safety

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Lighting for Safety

I'd like to make my RG easier seen by cagers. The lights are currently stock with the addition of the HD run/break on the rear. I've read lot's of post so I'm aware there are many choices. What would you guys recommend as being the best bang for the buck for someone on a limited budget. It seems run/break for the tour pack should be near the top of the list. Should all the signal bulbs be replaced? Thanks for your suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails Advice on Lighting for Safety-100_1233.jpg  
Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Don't rule out Hyperlites. I had a set on my 04 mounted on either side of the license plate and those suckers were bright and flashed when the brake was pushed. IIRC they cost me about $60 for the set.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The HogLite is a great investment. I added one to the bottom of my tourpak. It's LED but not a running light. When it comes on as a brake light it gets your attention

Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Several ways to help out the back of the bike.
Hyper lites work very well. HD makes the setup for the turn signals to work as brake lights. Depending on year, add the AUX brake/run light to the license plate area. The new luggage rack with spoiler light, a spooiler by itself. Signal dynamics has a lot of options.
As for the front, a headlight modulator works well...I run amber lights in my fog lamps and this helps....

Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Silverstone
Tourer

I've fitted a H4 headlight bulb with a slight blue tint and 55w H3's in the passing lamps,also blue tint. Stock is 35w H3.
The law over here are a bit keen when it comes to anyone other than themselves,ambulances and fire engines displaying a blue light,for obvious reasons,but slight tints are O.K and do get noticed.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

Check out Ride time technologies. For less than $30 the FlashR to turn your tourpak side lights into turn signals I think is one of the best mods I have done..

Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More lights good, LED's - better.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

+1 on the hyperlights... great bang for the buck... if seeing, as well as being seen is your goal.... motolights are the bomb... but expensive... I went with the HD fog lamps... $129 for the pair, comes with a harnes, and switch , mount onto the engine guard

Old 12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I got the HD led tail light for xmas. Not real cheap, but that thing is bright. Wow.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the best way to add visibility, to the front of your bike, is to mount a pair of running lights low and as far apart as you can. This gives a good triangular light pattern with your headlight (headlights on a RG) and the passing lights. You probably don't have room to mount lights on your engine guard, while the lowers are in place.
Tom

Quick Reply: Advice on Lighting for Safety