Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Road King versus Heritage Softail

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008 | 03:30 PM
fishbait
|
Novice
Talking 2009 Road King versus Heritage Softail

OK want opinions from veterans having ridden or owned both heritages and road kings......I have an 05 heritage i bought new now with 51K miles on it. love it been to AZ and CA from Austin Tx on it -great ride! I may be in a position (end of year deals) to buy an 09 Road king which is my other fav bike. Questions as I have only ridden a road king once for a few miles and thought it was ok but not enough miles to make a purchasing decision. I ride 40+ miles to work on highway to work one way and most of my riding is in the hill country on weekend runs when I am not going to work and back. My wife loves the heritage and rides with me 50% or better of the time.

Just like some insight on your preferences. Thanks I have make a decision (only for a great year end savings) by the tommorrownoon to go through with the deal -only if the stealership will come down considerably!!

thanks for your thoughts!

fishbait

Old 12-30-2008 | 03:32 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Might as well go for the Ultra now.

Old 12-30-2008 | 03:44 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

RK is a more comfortable bike to ride on the slab. More vibes at idle, but the faster you go, the better it compares to the Softail. It also handles better. RK is a good value as the price as gone down a little. Also consider the EG Std.

Old 12-30-2008 | 04:02 PM
jjohnson77536
Cruiser

RK... If nothing else the air shocks will make for an even more comfortable ride... (lol - look at the forums dealing with how much air to put in the shocks... )

Old 12-30-2008 | 04:05 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Have had both.
RK hands down. Not even close in handling in the twisties.

Old 12-30-2008 | 04:07 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

First off, both are great bikes....but going from a Heritage to a RK I don't see a lot of improvements....or upgrades.

If I were riding a Heritage and want to go to something different ( comfort, options etc...) I would go to the Electra Glide Classic or Ultra.
With the RK you still don't have anything more other than lockable bags....might as well get a fairing, radio, CB trunk etc.....just my .02 worth...but I'm spoiled and like all the "extras".....to me the EGC is one of the better buys...money spent for what you get....course the UC is the cats meow....at least get a SG/RG....again my .02

Old 12-30-2008 | 04:12 PM
TMART
Road Master

I have a roadking,my buddy has the heritage,we both agree my King rides and handles better than the Heritage!

Old 12-30-2008 | 04:46 PM
TW
Road Master

I've had 5 Softails (2 Heritages) and 3 Road Kings.

Four of my Softails were Evos, so the vibration was quite a bit more noticeable than the Twin Cam Softails, but even my '05 Fat Boy (balanced motor) doesn't compare to the ride of my '04 Road King.

Softails are fine bikes- don't get me wrong, but for me it is a secondary bike. I will always have at least one Road King in the garage no matter how many bikes I have at any given time. The rubber- mount motor and air shocks of the Road King are superior and the dual disc front brakes are way better too.

Old 12-30-2008 | 05:30 PM
JohnB445
Tourer
Default RK bars

I have an 08 RKC. Nice bike I only have 1 complaint. I am 5'-9"
At first I always had my back arched. That gets real painful
after an hour. I added a rider back rest. That solved the back
pain by keeping me upright. Now after 2 hours my wrists hurt
as I am always leaning forward. The point is sit on the bike for
awhile. If you seem to be leaning forward. Get extended or EZ
reach bars before buying. You will probably get a better price
if it is part of the sale. Hope this helps, just my 2

Old 12-30-2008 | 05:33 PM
ezlife
Road Master

Not close, Road King. Your wife will love it as well. Me & Mine's never been happier.

Quick Reply: 2009 Road King versus Heritage Softail