Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Road King versus Heritage Softail

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008 | 02:06 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master

Yep, Road King rides better and handles better than the Heritage. Looks, well, that's different to everyone. Like others have suggested, have you considered really stepping up and going with an Ultra or similar?

Old 12-31-2008 | 02:50 PM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Last Heritage I had was in 94, then stepped to the Rk then the Eg
Nothing like em'. Wouldn't go back even to the road king.
But to answer to your Question Road king over the Heritage.

Old 12-31-2008 | 03:15 PM
monstead
Club Member
From: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....

I say go with the RK. (of course, I'm biased) Don't forget you have the option to get ABS. Could be a lifesaver some day. That, and Cruise, 6-speed, new frame, versatility, 6-gallon tank, larger, never-sag bags, air shocks...all make it a great choice over the Heritage, which is still an excellent bike. Always thought I'd get a Heritage. Ended up with the '09 RKC and am SO glad I went that route. BTW, I'm 5'9" with not so long legs. I lowered the bike 1" and got a Badlander and Sundowner seat. No problem flat footing it now. Changed bars to Wild 1's Chubby Road Glide (WO517) bars and it is night and day from the way a stock bike feels.

Bottom line though, go with your gut and what feels best for your riding style. You and the wife are the ones who are going to be riding it after all!

Old 12-31-2008 | 05:59 PM
fishbait
|
Novice

Below is a copy and paste from my response to a new thread I started after this one regarding HD margins and "deals" experience by others.

I am really blown away by all the RKC preferences over the Heritage..........makes me feel like I was missing something in my test ride. Don't get me wrong I love the RKC looks but I don't like the vibration at idle. Not sure if it will stop me from a RKC in the future. I am kinda tired of the studded bag look on my Heritage but I love the ride and felt it is a little more nimbler (if this is a word). I do think it was a tad smoother on the bumpy farm to market roads. In all fairness I may post this question in the softail forum too. I am curious if fellas there feel the same. I suspect the bias will be towards the HC. That is what is great about these forums. I love to here others opinions because I always walk away learning something new or have a new perspective on the issue! thanks again for reading this long winded post. the following is what I followed up with on my other thread that applies here too!

Well guys..thanks for the responses!! I didn't do so well going up against the big bad HD sales force!! We test rode the RKC and it was nice but the vibrations at idle were more than I ever thought! I felt like I was riding up on it vs. sitting down in the bike as on the HC. The baggage guards hurt my wifes calves and I thought the ride was only a little bit smoother than my 05 heritage on the highway and i think the turning radius is a bit more also. Most guys in my previous post asking about a heritage vs. a RKC picked the RKC so I am a bit surprised I didn't agree more. I still like the RKC looks better but if I were to get this bike I would definately want the heritage handle bars (a bit taller) installed on it! Next the rep let us take out my other favorite.....the Street Glide! It fit wonderful, drove nice but not nicer than my Heritage (in my opinion of course!) It think the ride would tie the HC but not for the vibration at idle. I still love this bike but my wife hates the look! The dealer would not budge anything below MSRP. It kinda of makes me mad when yesterday he told me today they would really made a deal last day of year and all. I checked the HOG stock ticker and was a little surprised to see harley stock is down to 16.50/share from 60's. So I really thought being "winter", years end and low stock values the dealer would would come off prices a little.

Kind of glad I didn't trade in my HC -wife loves its ride best so far and reading the past after mine about an EGC vs. SG I may in the future buy the EGC and remove the touring pak until needed! When looking at the stealership today I couldn't understand why the EGC is less money when it has the spotlights and tour pack? Could the Harmon Garden stereo be that much to influence such a high price on the SG?

Happy New year to you all,

God Bless and be safe!

Old 12-31-2008 | 08:29 PM
quint
Tourer

Originally Posted by fishbait
Below is a copy and paste from my response to a new thread I started after this one regarding HD margins and "deals" experience by others.

I am really blown away by all the RKC preferences over the Heritage..........makes me feel like I was missing something in my test ride. Don't get me wrong I love the RKC looks but I don't like the vibration at idle. Not sure if it will stop me from a RKC in the future. I am kinda tired of the studded bag look on my Heritage but I love the ride and felt it is a little more nimbler (if this is a word). I do think it was a tad smoother on the bumpy farm to market roads. In all fairness I may post this question in the softail forum too. I am curious if fellas there feel the same. I suspect the bias will be towards the HC. That is what is great about these forums. I love to here others opinions because I always walk away learning something new or have a new perspective on the issue! thanks again for reading this long winded post. the following is what I followed up with on my other thread that applies here too!

Well guys..thanks for the responses!! I didn't do so well going up against the big bad HD sales force!! We test rode the RKC and it was nice but the vibrations at idle were more than I ever thought! I felt like I was riding up on it vs. sitting down in the bike as on the HC. The baggage guards hurt my wifes calves and I thought the ride was only a little bit smoother than my 05 heritage on the highway and i think the turning radius is a bit more also. Most guys in my previous post asking about a heritage vs. a RKC picked the RKC so I am a bit surprised I didn't agree more. I still like the RKC looks better but if I were to get this bike I would definately want the heritage handle bars (a bit taller) installed on it! Next the rep let us take out my other favorite.....the Street Glide! It fit wonderful, drove nice but not nicer than my Heritage (in my opinion of course!) It think the ride would tie the HC but not for the vibration at idle. I still love this bike but my wife hates the look! The dealer would not budge anything below MSRP. It kinda of makes me mad when yesterday he told me today they would really made a deal last day of year and all. I checked the HOG stock ticker and was a little surprised to see harley stock is down to 16.50/share from 60's. So I really thought being "winter", years end and low stock values the dealer would would come off prices a little.

Kind of glad I didn't trade in my HC -wife loves its ride best so far and reading the past after mine about an EGC vs. SG I may in the future buy the EGC and remove the touring pak until needed! When looking at the stealership today I couldn't understand why the EGC is less money when it has the spotlights and tour pack? Could the Harmon Garden stereo be that much to influence such a high price on the SG?

Happy New year to you all,

God Bless and be safe!
Fishbait

I was one of the big RK fans, and I still am. But it all comes down to preference, and the Heritage is damn fine looking scoot and it has those pipes-on-one-side look, which I love. One man's meat is another man's poison - that's what is great about having choices. Either way, you can't go wrong.

In terms of EGC versus SG, I chose SG for these reasons:

- My wife doesn't like the "junk in the trunk" look of the Tour-Pak, so that means I would have to get the quick release kit at about 500 clams. For that, I could buy a removable sissy bar and backrest for the SG.

- The SG has the Streamliner footboards and some other chrome that would cost at least a few hundred bucks to add to the EGC.

- Finally, the SG has that "slammed" look with the lowered rear suspension, the smooth fender (front and back), silver dials with chrome surrounds and a little extra bling that works for me.

Here's a link to a detailed discussion on EGC vs SG:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...de-or-egc.html

But the EGC is a great value bike that rides great, is a real practical touring mount, and looks the business with just a few options. The reality is: I like 'em all!!

As you say, Happy New Year and God Bless!

Last edited by quint; 12-31-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2009 | 09:05 AM
electra glide
Road Captain

Check out any of the fairing bikes. Mine's a FLHT, standard, Put a radio in it and a used tour pack on it with quick detach. Absolutely love my bike. I'd keep the Heritage and look at a touring bike with a fairing. Let's not forget the Road Glide either.

Old 01-01-2009 | 11:58 AM
jagator
Road Master

Originally Posted by Twinrider
I can't flatfoot my RK either but with decent boots on I can get the ***** of both feet down. The bike has excellent balance so I have plenty of stability even like that, and it's also dead easy to balance the bike flat-footing just one side. I would rather ride like this than lower the bike and have to deal with a harsher ride and less cornering clearance.
Thanks Twinrider and Johnny D. for the feedback.

Old 10-01-2012 | 10:09 PM
Westy Q
1st Gear
Default Can't Decide...............

I own both a Heritage Classic and a Road KIng Classic. As far as which one I like best........I still can't decide! The Heritage is a '94 and the RK is an '06. If I knew how, I would post photos.

I'm 6'2" and 245 lbs

Old 10-02-2012 | 04:44 PM
punisher660
Banned

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Have had both.
RK hands down. Not even close in handling in the twisties.
+1 but the RK requires a handlebar change. In stock form, the Heritage is more comfortable, but raise the RK bars (I did 16" apes) and there is no comparison in ride, comfort, or handling.

Old 10-02-2012 | 07:16 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Nice of you guys to offer your advice, but my guess is that the OP has been riding the Road King for about 3 1/2 years now, since he posted the question in December 2008,

Quick Reply: 2009 Road King versus Heritage Softail