Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Road King versus Heritage Softail

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008 | 08:12 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jagator
Twinrider -- Did you lower your RK or anything? If so has it change the ride of the bike? I ask because I am you same size and have been looking to get a RKC, but not able to flatfoot it.
Wow, were all the same height! I did the following: Profile lowering shocks, Mustang seat and RK Chrome high bars. Perfect fit!

Old 12-30-2008 | 08:15 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Really enjoyed my RoadKing, solid/strong bike. Love the Kings Looks. Have rode my wife's Heritage a time or two, not bad, but the Kings to me rides better. Wife rode my King a time or two, she likes her Heritage. I wish she would have liked the King better, but it wasn't set up for her and I think that is why I no longer have the King and she still has her Heritage.

Old 12-30-2008 | 08:26 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jagator
Twinrider -- Did you lower your RK or anything? If so has it change the ride of the bike? I ask because I am you same size and have been looking to get a RKC, but not able to flatfoot it.
I can't flatfoot my RK either but with decent boots on I can get the ***** of both feet down. The bike has excellent balance so I have plenty of stability even like that, and it's also dead easy to balance the bike flat-footing just one side. I would rather ride like this than lower the bike and have to deal with a harsher ride and less cornering clearance.

Old 12-31-2008 | 06:59 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

Both Hertiage and RKC's beautiful bikes especially with it's nostaglic looks. I'd favor RKC over Heritage cuz of the Windshield and Bags when it comes to traveling. Owned '06 RKC for 3 years and truly loved everything about it. Now, I moved up to '09 Ultra for one main purpose and reason. Storage !. Gotta have them for traveling purposes.

You'll have to go over the deciding factors on why you want RKC or Heritage over $$$...Jot down the Pro's and Con's then decide.

Only if Money's not an issue...May I suggest Ultra ?.

Good Luck,

Thorey

Old 12-31-2008 | 09:09 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

I had the Heritage and now I have a 2009 King. The heritage is good for scootin around the AO but the King, well, it's the King, ya know. With the 09 improvements it is better and has better pickup because it doesn't have the counterbalancers that the ST has The 96 cubic inch is supposed to be about the same as the 88 CI but it has a lot more get up and go to my seat of the pants observation.

Old 12-31-2008 | 09:12 AM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

I had an '07 Fatboy before my '09 RKC---there's no contest! I predict that unless in the next few years the upgrades to the newer Road Kings include auto pilot or gun turrents, I'll have this bike for a long, long time!!

Old 12-31-2008 | 10:59 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain

Funny. I sold my 07' Ultra and have the serious "wants" for a Road King. Go figure! I had a 96' RK, which I truly enjoyed. Personally, I just don't care for the look of the Ultra.

Old 12-31-2008 | 11:01 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

There are five main differences between the Heritage and Road King:

1. BRAKES: A big improvement for the RK here, as it has TWIN discs with Brembos, as well as the option of ABS. I'd say the braking on an 09 RK will feel twice as powerful as the Heritage.

2. FRAME: The 09 RK has the new stiffer frame with the 180 series tire on the back. This will give you better handling and more stability.

3. TANK: The 6-gallon tank of the RK is so much more convenient than the the 5-gallon Heritage. Whether you want to travel the extra 40 miles or so is up to you, but when touring with friends, it's a great convenience. It also seems to save money on gas, as you fill up at cheaper gas stations near home, and don't have to refill at the expensive joints far from home.

4. CRUISE CONTROL: This is available as a factory option on the RK, and I high recommend it. It reduces fatigue way more than you would think. On longer rides on highways and superslab, you'll be glad you have it.

5. TC96: The engine mounts on the RK are rubber, and it is much smoother (to me) than the Softail's internal balance shafts. It bumps around at idle, but smooths out above 1,200 revs. On a long trip, it just feels less tiring.
Add to this an engine guard ( crash bar ) and passenger foot boards that are standard features on the RK.

I went through this same exercise when I bought my RK back in 2005. The RK comes with some many features that are either optional or not available on the Heritage for so little difference in the money. RK is a good value.

Old 12-31-2008 | 11:25 AM
RoadKing_Bob
Tourer
Default Just my opinion

I've owned 3 Road Kings (83 Police Special, 06 Road King Custom and my 09 Road King Classic) and I've owned one 03 Anniversary Soft Tail, and in my opinion all these bikes seemed to ride different from each other, this could be because of the different handlebars and seats between each, but I think my 09 RKClassic tends to have a more upright seating position than the 03 SoftTail, but I also felt that the 03 SoftTail was a more laid back position that felt really good in the turns as if the center of gravity was lower for some reason. For me I believe that the RKC is better suited for the long afternoon rides that I usually take.

Old 12-31-2008 | 01:23 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I have an 08 Road King Classic. I really love it. The one thing I had with a Rental Road King in Calif was that the windshield blew off. One feature I really like is the cruise control. If you plan on long weekend rides 2 up, you may want to look at the Ultras that have the extra storage.

Quick Reply: 2009 Road King versus Heritage Softail